The backyard is just as crowded as inside. People are everywhere: lounging on wicker furniture, jumping on the trampoline, even skinny dipping in the pool. I avert my eyes as a pair of naked boys run past me, whooping as they cannonball into the water. A girl shrieks as she's caught in their splash.

    I find Sawyer off to the side, playing Beer Pong with Mark, Alyssa, Tim, and the redhead from earlier. Both girls are standing together, their arms crossed over their chests. Alyssa gives me a small wave. The redhead gives me a sour look.

    "Hey, Aves," Mark addresses me first. He lobs the ball across the Ping-Pong table, missing the cups completely. His shoulders slump in defeat.

    "Dude," Sawyer shakes his head and gulps his drink.

    "Next time, baby." Alyssa encourages and Mark blushes.

    "I think I'm gonna head home," I say to Sawyer.

    The boys groan in protest.

    "No,"

    "You can't,"

    "But it's still early,"

    They all complain at once. I put my hands up in surrender.

    "Guys, I'm only going home. I'm not leaving forever."

    Sawyer turns his wrist to look at his watch. "It's barely midnight."

    "I know," I shrug. "I'm just getting tired."

    "Do you want us to walk you home?" Tim offers.

    The redhead scoffs and stalks off. Tim watches her go, unfazed.

    I shake my head. "That's okay. Stay, have fun."

    I give each of them a tight hug, including Alyssa.

    "I'm sorry we didn't get to properly meet," she says when we pull apart. "Next time, though, yeah?"

    I nod and look at Mark. "Make it happen, Moose."

    Alyssa raises an eyebrow and turns to her boyfriend. "Moose?"

    He shrugs and nods. "Long story."

    "Hm," she hums in response.

    "Are you sure you don't want me to walk you home?" Sawyer asks.

    I wave his offer away and turn to leave. "Just lock the door when you get home."

    "Will do," he calls after me.

    I walk around the side of the house, not wanting to wade through the drunken teenagers again. Out front, it's quieter except for a few stragglers hanging out on the lawn. They ignore me as I pass. I take my earbuds out and put them in, turning my music on and drowning out the world. I shove my hands in my hoodie pocket and start my walk home.

~

I barely make it thirty steps before someone yanks on my sleeve. I swear loudly, whirling around to face them.

    "What the –"

    My words fall flat. The girl from the kitchen is standing before me. Her mouth moves and I realize she's speaking to me. I pause my music and take my earbuds out.

    "What?"

    "I said I'm sorry," she sounds slightly out of breath. "I called your name but I guess . . ." She gestures to my ears.

    "Oh," I swallow the lump in my throat.

    "Not really your thing, huh?"

    "Hm?"