Chapter 65 Adoration

Lan Zhan watched as Wei Ying floated closer to him. He couldn't believe that his husband was now even more beautiful than before. He was just about to speak when Wei Ying covered his face, crying silently.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to happen!" He sobbed. "I'm sorry if you don't like me now-"

His hands were pushed away and soft warm lips covered his, in a declaration of love and devotion.

Lan Zhan pulled away, a rare look of excitement in his eyes. He placed his forefinger on Wei Ying's lips, signalling him not to speak. He waited for Wei Ying to look at him.

"Does it hurt?" Concern shrouded his words.

"Not right now, but...but when they come out. Shen Ling says it's going to get better."

"Can I touch them?" Lan Zhan was practically vibrating with desire.

Wei Ying nodded, shyly.

Lan Zhan touched the nape of his neck, making him shiver. His fingertips ever so gently caressed the feathery edge of one wing, delighting in the iridescent glow. In the pale moonlight, the wings looked transparent, yet they were strong. He felt along the edges of both wings, simultaneously enjoying the impossible smoothness; Wei couldn't help the small tremors flowing through his body.

And then, Lan Zhan licked along the length of one side, tasting the magical scent of his husband in this new form.

Wei Ying moaned, unable to contain his feelings. This new body was particularly sensitive, and this was his husband, and they hadn't seen each other for a week.

Shen Ling was watching carefully until then. The moment one man used his mouth instead of talking, he rolled his eyes and left them to it.

Wei Ying turned around and captured his lips, not caring to wait any longer. Lan Zhan pulled him closer, mindful of the additional appendages on his back.

"Love Wei Ying." He said, kissing him once more.

"Are you...are you sure?" Wei Ying asked him uncertainly. "It's just that I'm not the same...and I thought...I thought you wouldn't want me anymore." He looked down, ashamed.

Lan Zhan tipped his face up until he could look into those silver orbs, so much missed, so much longed for.

"Don't care about body." He thought about it, frowning and then suddenly broke into a big smile.

Wei Ying gasped. It was such a rare sight.

"Love new body too," he amended. "Very much."

He pushed him up against the nearest tree to show him exactly how much.

********

Later, they were walking back towards the Jingshi. Lan Zhan had pulled off his outer robes when Wei Ying's wings had disappeared, to cover his body fully.

Wei Ying grinned up at him. "There's no one else here, my love."

"No matter. Wei Ying is mine." He had kissed his forehead then.

Lan Zhan could not stop touching him, afraid that if he let go, Wei Ying would disappear like the dream he still thought this was.

The skies were turning from a dark hue into shades of pink, orange and yellow as the summer sun rose. The surrounding mountains were bathed in fire, lighting up the sky. Wei Ying stood for a second, watching the scene unfold. Lan Zhan wrapped his arms around his beloved, cherishing his return.

"Lan Zhan...I'm sorry." He whispered.

"Mn?"

"I disturbed your rest. Only...only I thought, if I had to leave, I'd rather not face anyone else."