Chapter 57 Excuses

Wei Ying ran after Wei Chang Zu.

"Please, wait!"

She stopped by the stairs to go to her room.

"I'm sorry. I-I just don't know what to do." Wei Ying admitted.

She looked so hurt, and he felt bad.

"Do you know why I chose now to come and find you?" She asked.

"No. I thought about it."

"Nothing good, I bet." She smiled, ruefully. "I'll tell you. I'm going to be married soon, that's why I don't have a lot of time. I just wanted someone from my family to be there. For me."

"Oh. I didn't know..." Wei Ying had the grace to look embarrassed.

"You could have asked me. Not everything is about you, you know." She chastised him playfully. "I need to go back to my husband to be's family. They didn't want me to come in the first place..."

"I have an idea, if you don't mind me suggesting something." XiChen overheard that last part and came closer.

Wei Ying looked hopefully at him, glad for his intervention.

"How long are you staying?" He asked her.

"I have to go back, but..." She looked uncertainly at him.

"If you could stay for a few more days, perhaps you can stay with Brother Wei at Cloud Recesses."

Wei Ying sucked in a breath.

She saw his face. "I don't think that's...a good idea."

XiChen gave him a hard, disapproving look.

"No, XiChen-Ge is right. We can spend some time together...if you can stay." Wei Ying felt ashamed of himself.

"Then that's settled." XiChen looked proudly at Wei Ying. "Let's help her with her things."

******

Wei Chang Zu was shown to the women's guest quarters, when they got back to Cloud Recesses.

"I shall inform Uncle." XiChen left them.

"Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan?!" Wei Ying whispered urgently, tugging on his sleeve.

"Mn?"

"What should I talk about...with her? I don't know what to say." Wei Ying looked discouraged.

Lan Zhan folded him into his arms, stroking his hair.

"Worry not. Wei Ying will know."

He sighed, defeated. "You have too much faith in me."

"So...you really are married."

Wei Ying reluctantly let go of Lan Zhan, and forced a smile on his lips. He turned to face her.

"How would you like to see the waterfalls?" He blurted out. To Lan Zhan, he whispered, "that's okay, isn't it?"

"Mn. I will be with Brother." Lan Zhan kissed his forehead and left.

Wei Chang Zu came forward. "Ge-ge, I'm happy for you. Both of you are... sweet together."

Wei Ying blushed awkwardly. "It's this way."

She looked around as they walked towards the sounds of crashing waters.

"It's nice here. Very peaceful."

"Mn."

"Do you like living here?"

"Mn." Wei Ying didn't want to sound like his husband. But talking to her was so...hard. "Where do you live?"