Chapter 42 Clan

Lan Zhan brought Wei Ying home that same day. He hoped that being in this familiar environment would help to heal his heart, his own aching with the need to ease Wei Ying's pain.

Wei Ying was withdrawn and so unnaturally silent. The moment they reached the Jingshi, he went to the bed and lay down, curled into a tight ball.

There was the sound of footsteps running and then the door burst open.

"Fathers!" Li XiWang tumbled inside, unable to contain her excitement.

She hugged Lan Zhan first, kissing his cheek, but then when she looked at her other father, she sensed something was wrong and became serious.

"What's wrong with father?" Her big eyes stared, first at the prone body in the bed and then at this father.

"Let's talk outside."

She took his hand and sat with him on the deck outside their room.

"Why is he...why is he like that? Is he hurt?"

"Not on the outside." Lan Zhan placed his fingers on her heart. "Here."

"Why?" She did not look away. "What happened?"

He decided to tell her the truth. "Two people died in front of him. He tried to save them, but he feels as if he failed them."

She climbed into his arms. "S'not his fault." She mumbled.

Lan Zhan felt so comforted, the warmth she was giving him with her understanding was like a balm on his heart.

"Can I go to him?" She asked softly, after a while.

"Mn."

She went to the bed and climbed on.

"I love you, father. It's okay to feel sad." She wrapped her tiny arms around him, lying as close as she could.

Lan Zhan watched them both, his heart breaking again.

"Stay with him. I'll be back." He whispered.

She nodded and closed her eyes.

*****

Lan Zhan knocked on the door of the Hanshi and waited for his brother to open it, missing the days when he could just walk in without prior notice.

He opened it immediately and welcomed him.

"Jiang Wanyin had to go back to Lotus Pier." He replied in amusement to the questioning look.

"I need your help." Lan Zhan told him, relieved that they were alone. Time with his brother, like this was missed.

"Why? What's wrong?" XiChen immediately became alarmed. His younger brother hardly ever asked for help. He looked tired, too.

Lan Zhan explained everything that had happened.

"Brother Wei must be so hurt. Where is he now?"

"Our daughter is trying to comfort him. But I don't know what else to do." Lan Zhan admitted.

"He will get better here." XiChen reassured him. "Some wounds only time can heal. But your children will help him remember how to live. You have to trust them, and trust in Wei Ying."

"Thank you, Brother." Lan Zhan stood up.

XiChen enveloped him in a warm hug. "Do you feel better, Didi?"

"Mn."

*****

His next stop was Uncle Qiren. The stern man seemed glad to see him. Lan Zhan filled him in on all the events that had occurred. After they had spoken for a while, Lan Zhan got up to leave, but his uncle stopped him.

"Play some music for him. I believe there are some scores especially related to...loss. it will help."

Lan Zhan brightened considerably after that.

*****

Wei Ying woke to find his daughter in his arms, snoring softly. He tried not to wake her but at his slight movement, she was wide awake.

"Father." She looked worriedly at him.

"Little rabbit. Have you been well?" He kissed her cheek. "I missed you."

"Are you alright?" She asked, cupping his face.

Wei Ying thought about it. "I don't know." A tear trickled from his eye.

"It's okay, father. You don't have to be happy all the time." She wiped the tear away.

Music, a soft melody began playing behind them. The notes resonating in his mind began to spread a peacefulness, and he closed his eyes again, relieved that he did not have to face his thoughts just yet.

*****

When he next awoke, SiZhui was setting something on the table. The familiar scent of his Shijie's soup came wafting towards him and he reluctantly got out of bed. His stomach groaned with being empty for so long.

"Where did you get that?" He asked, giving him a quick hug, and then sitting down in front of it.

SiZhui smiled. "Uncle Cheng made it for you. He came back to Cloud Recesses, after...after" he faltered.

Wei Ying took in a mouthful hungrily. "After what?"

"Well... you've been asleep for days...and we were worried."

"Days?" He stopped eating, puzzled.

"Um, I'll go and get father." SiZhui rushed out before he could ask any more questions.

Lan Zhan came in minutes later, just as Wei Ying was finished eating. He kneeled next to him and checked his temperature, and then his pulse.

"How are you feeling?" He held out his arms.

Wei Ying looked at him properly. Worry sat in the creases of his eyes, face a little paler than normal. He came into the circle of love without hesitation.

"I'm sorry I worried you." He whispered against his neck. "I wasn't myself..."

"Wei Ying is better now." His arms tightened out of relief.

"Much better. Thank you for looking after me." Wei Ying kissed his jaw slowly, the truth of his words sinking in.

Lan Zhan took his face in his palms gently kissing him properly.

"I love you." Wei Ying smiled, blushing at the pure love reflected in his husband's eyes.

"Wei Ying needs a bath."

He laughed for the first time in days.