Chapter 23 Evidence

Wei Ying pulled out the things he had collected at the doctor's house.

They were sitting on bamboo mats in the cave, Li XiWang asleep in the corner. His grandmother looked at the ring.

"I'm not sure why, but this...I think I have seen this before, maybe not on a ring. Expert craftsmanship." She commented, taking the ring into her palm.

"Me, too!" Wei Ying whispered excitedly. "I know I've seen this before, maybe as an emblem, or a crest, or even a picture. And the man had called out a name. Suanni."

His grandmother took in a sharp breath. "Are you sure?" She fixed him with an even sharper gaze.

"Yes. I'm sure. Isn't it, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying felt as if he had to resort to childish tactics and give proof to an adult with a witness.

"Mn."

"See? Even Lan Zhan heard him. He offered himself up as a sacrifice, he said before he ate whatever was in the ring."

"Suanni is the name of a mythical creature. His breath is said to annihilate nations, the very mention of his name to bring terror to countless souls." She glared at him. "That's why I need you to be sure."

"But if he's a mythical creature, that means he doesn't exist, and then by default, we don't need to worry about it." Wei Ying lay on the floor, hands supporting his head.

"Hmm." She didn't look like she believed him. "And what about this?" She pointed at the parchment paper.

"That's just a bunch of numbers. It means nothing without context." Wei Ying yawned.

"It's sleeping time." Lan Zhan announced, staring at her.

"Fine, fine." She stood up, grumbling. "But you're leaving in the morning and you need to have a plan."

"Grandmother, don't worry. I do have a plan." Wei Ying smiled confidently at her. "The first thing we're going to do, is go home to Cloud Recesses. Once Li XiWang is settled there, we can leave her in a good environment, while we investigate everything else."

"What about my other children?" She fiddled about with the silver whip in her hands, not looking at him.

"I've sent word to Nie Huaisang. Since we found Li XiWang in Qinghe, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to find something else about that. Whatever they did to her, had to happen somewhere, as in, they must have a base." Wei Ying stood up. "There are more people involved in this than we know of, and," he turned to Lan Zhan, "we have to make it a priority to secure their hands when we catch these people."

"Mn."

Wei Ying yawned and stretched. Lan Zhan came and stood too close to Baoshen Sanren.

"Goodnight." He added, as if towering over her wasn't enough.

"I'm going." She glared at him. "And I thought you were the reasonable one."

Lan Zhan smiled politely and walked her out.

*****

Li XiWang was beyond excited to travel to Cloud Recesses. She had visited once before, but still was full of questions.

"Where will I sleep?"

"Where would you like to sleep?" Wei Ying countered. He loved just chatting about normal things with her.

"Do I have a choice?" She was holding onto his waist as they flew towards Gusu, Lan Zhan holding them both and listening indulgently.

"Is this a game? Where we're not allowed to say statements, but can only answer in questions?"

She giggled, the musical sound making both her fathers smile.

"What if it is?"

"What if it's not?" Wei Ying was having too much fun.

"Do I have to learn all the rules?"

"How many do you think there are?"

So it continued all the way into Cloud Recesses.

They met XiChen and Jiang Cheng first, just as they landed past the gates.

"Don't you have a sect to run?" Wei Ying asked him, looking at their joint hands.

XiChen blushed. "We haven't yet worked out where we're going to live."

"This is working for now." Jiang Cheng pointedly putting an end to this train of conversation. "Who's this?" He came closer.

"This is our daughter, Li XiWang." Wei Ying turned to the little girl holding his hand. "Li XiWang, these are your uncles. You have met them both before."

"I remember. That's the angry one." She whispered loudly in his ear.

Wei Ying smirked at the expression on his brother's face. "That's right."

"And that's the nice one."

XiChen blushed.

"How can you find a carbon copy of you to adopt?" Jiang Cheng scowled.

Li XiWang shrank back.

Wei Ying smacked him. "You're scaring her. Behave!"

"They're both nice people, even if my brother takes some getting used to. And by the looks of it, he seems to be here most of the time, so you will see him plenty."

Li XiWang bowed formally to both her uncles.

"She's kind of cute." Jiang Cheng whispered to Wei Ying.

He beamed back at him. "That's nothing, she's smart too. She's going to beat everyone in her classes."

"Do I have to go to classes, Wei ge-ge?" She looked up at him uncertainly.

"Yes, but they're easy. You won't have any problems." He was quick to reassure her. He turned to XiChen. "We will need to hold a meeting. I know Lan Zhan's kept you up to date on everything, but it would be great if you could add your input."

"It would be my honour." XiChen smiled at him. "It's been quiet without you here, Brother Wei. I missed you."

"Don't say that!" Jiang Cheng shouted. "You'll never get rid of him now!"

XiChen pulled him along as he muttered under his breath.

Li Xiwang had crossed her arms against her chest, looking suitably annoyed.

"What?" Wei Ying asked, curiously.

"Why did he say that about you? I don't like that." She stomped her foot irritatedly.

"Mn. Wei Ying is loved." Lan Zhan took her hand.

"I agree. I love Wei ge-ge." They both entered the Jingshi beaming at each other.

Wei Ying sighed. He was going to lose a lot of arguments now.