EPILOGUE

23 January 2019

The issue with over planning a day is that something will always go wrong. And not in a teeny tiny way either. No, sir. It will go wrong in the most colossal way. For example, my menstrual cycle starting unexpectedly on the day I've been planning for over two months now.

I've given up on things having to be perfect. I need to make the best out of whatever cluster shit it is. My phone buzzes as I put on my lipstick and I pick it up.

From Sicko[Family group]:

Iska first day hai aaj, chalti phirti zinda laash hogi yeh.

To Sicko [Family group]:

I hope you fall into Sabarmati on your way over.

From Nandu[Family group]:

Aise nahi bolte, Aish!

See you guys soon.

I pop in a painkiller and grab my handbag and keys as I rush out the door with mom scolding me for not having any breakfast today.

*******

Samar tries to go to the passenger seat as I stop him. I throw the car keys at him, which he catches, the smooth jerk.

"One scratch and I'll strangle you to death." I tell him in a stern voice as we cross over sides and get in the car.

"We both know you won't do that." He grins, trying to fit his overgrown body in the driver's seat.

"Don't overestimate my patience."

I reach over to change the radio channel and he swats my hand away.

"'Driver chooses the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole', remember?"

"I love you." Son of a bitch Han Solo'd me.

"I know." He smiles while expertly reversing the car with a single hand because of course, he does.

*******

It's moments like these when you can't comprehend the fact that real life is better than what you could've dreamt. For instance, Monku ordered a white forest cake, instead of the usual chocolate because I wouldn't be able to eat it otherwise.

I reach forward to place the cake on the centre of the table and leave to talk to the café staff about the music. I hand them my phone with 'I'll be there for you' on a loop instead of a birthday song to connect to the music system.

As I walk back, my vision dizzies for a second and stumble. A strong arm wraps around me and pulls me upright.

"I won't let you fall." Sicko grins at me as Monku comes as my other side and wraps an arm around my shoulders. We walk over to our table and they let me go once I'm stable enough.

In my right periphery Monku says something to Pari while giggling and she starts yelling, "EWWWWW KAISA HAI YEH!?"

Samar comes to my right and wraps his arm around me. Nandu comes to my left and asks Sicko, "White forest cake?"

"For this choosy bitch." He points to me.

I poke my tongue out and light the candles on his cake.

Samar blows out the candles among shouts and clapping, the loudest one from Pari. He bends forward to slice a piece when Sicko whispers, "Ho gaya chalo, ab ghar chalo."

Nandu smacks him on his shoulder and I laugh as Samar straightens up.

We feed the piece to each other as Monku wolf whistles.