38. Dancing On The Ceiling

Start from the beginning

Once the interview is over, Liam leaves with his family to have lunch and we all head to the hotel to finalize the details of tonight's surprise party.

"How will we take Payno to the club?" Louis asks, "I mean, we have to get him there without suspecting anything"

"Don't know..." Niall says puckering up his lips.

"Maybe we could, like, make him believe that something bad has happened to Vicky?" Zayn proposes looking at me.

"Me?" I ask looking at him.

"Yeah" he answers, "you and Niall could go like, out tonight or something. He thinks the celebration is tomorrow. I'll be with Liam and you can call him telling him that you've lost Niall and you don't know where to go. I'll persuade him to go and get you and... tada!"

"That was brilliant, Zayn" Louis says patting his shoulder; "We'll do that"

"You'll have to pull some great acting" Harry says turning to me.

"Don't worry" I smile, "don't ask me to do it now, because I'll probably laugh; but wait for tonight and I'll be nominated for next year's Oscars"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Shh!" I say turning around, as my phone starts dialing Liam's number.

"Vic?" he asks picking up.

"Liam?" I ask back with a panicked tone.

"Hey, is everything all right?"

"I've lost Niall" I answer in the same tone as before; "We were dancing and he said he was going to the toilet but he hasn't returned and... I've looked for him everywhere, I just don't know where I am... Are you with your family?"

"No, they had sleep hours to catch up with. I'm with Zayn. Wait, what's the name of the club? Zayn!" he shouts at the other end of the line; "Zayn, we need to go out! We need to go get Vic! She's lost Niall!"

I give him the name of the club and hang up.

"They're on their way" I smile turning to the crowd, and they all cheer, excited.

Liam calls me ten minutes later.

"I'm inside" I answer as the music plays through the speakers; "I'm still looking for Niall. I'll wait for you by the bar"

"Be right there" he answers.

"He's here" I say and everybody quiets that very second.

The music stops and I hear Liam's footsteps down the corridor.

"Happy birthday!" everybody shouts when he goes through the door.

Liam's jaw drops and the biggest smile appears on his face.

"Wow" he says looking around and greeting everyone.

Some minutes later, he approaches me.

"You..." he says chuckling, "you are a cheeky little monkey"

"Happy birthday, Liam" I smile at him.

He hugs me and walks away to greet some other guests.

"You're really important to him, you know that?" I hear behind me.

I turn around to find Ruth resting her arms on the bar counter.

"What?"

"You've become part of his life. And you've become quite important if you ask me. I read your twit longer" she says with a smile; "We knew nothing about it"

"Nobody did" I answer with a sad smile.

"I think you've been very brave. Liam talks a lot about you and Niall lately when we Skype. I'm glad Niall has found someone he loves and who loves him back. And that Liam has found such a wonderful friend. Life with someone from One Direction can be pretty tough sometimes" she smiles.

"Yeah" I agree, "Liam has helped me a lot, you know? He has saved me a couple of times"

"He has some super-heroic gene in him" Ruth chuckles, "By the way, Niall's birthday is also very soon, isn't it?" she asks later.

"Yeah" I smile, "in two weeks"

"Do you have anything special planned?"

"No, I won't be here actually. My classes start on September, 2; so I'm going back home..."

I suddenly stop there.

"You're going home when?" Ruth asks.

"... Tomorrow" I mumble staring nowhere at all.

Oh, my God.

Tomorrow is 30th already.

I'm going home tomorrow.