Chapter 10

Walking up the spiral staircase felt liberating. Like someone taking their first steps into an unknown world. At the top of the stairs, there was a trap door. Not a normal vertical standing door, a trap door that layed flat against the earth. I wondered why the entrance would be oriented in such a way, but I didn't care. That trap door was freedom, maybe a lot of tears, sweat and blood waited for me outside, but it's still freedom from the shackles of Marios control.

I dropped the shackles end, and placed both of my hands on the side of the trap door that had a leather pull. I pushed, celebrated silently as I felt it fall open, and stuck my head out of the trap door. Everything in me froze. Time seemingly stopped as I stared at what was outside the small cold prison I was once in. I didn't see the inside of a castle, or guards, or peaches garden, or even any thick greenery.

What I saw, was a desert. Hot, dry, sandy, and endless. I closed my eyes and shook my head for a second. A desert? That can't be right. I looked around at the area I was in. There was nothing but sand dunes on the horizon. Maybe a couple cacti here and there, but nothing more. I climbed out and onto the scolding hot sand. I instinctively snapped, and put myself in what I could only describe as a white, completely head to toe covering, made out of a light and breezy fabric, with boots that protected my feet.

Immediately I was cooler than before. My body temperature started regulating itself, and what only could have been an impending heat stroke died down inside me. I pulled the chains up out of the hole, and sighed. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Where was I? And how the hell did my brothers travel through this sandy, scortching hell to feed me? I looked at the area the cell was located, and saw a fake cardboard bush propped up against what only could be the top foot of the cell I was in. It was a fake bush. Of course.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in annoyance. I was free, but at what cost? Who knows where the nearest civilization was located. And if it was only 7pm, then why the hell was it still so hot and sunny?! I could see the sun setting in the West, and knew that soon the harsh sun rays would dissapear, but the heat would probably persist. I sighed, and tried my hardest to remember a map of our world that was hung up in peaches castle.

If I was remembering right, Bowsers castle was directly West of a giant desert. If that desert was the one I was in, heading west immediately would be my best bet. I stood up, took one step in that direction, and suddenly what seemed to be an earthquake shook around me. And I watched in slight horror as the cell collapsed inward, creating a sinkhole. I scrambled on all fours away from the cell, trying hard to pull the chains with me. I could feel that they were being sucked in, which made it eternally harder to pull away.

Finally, the commotion stopped, and all that was left of the cell was the wooden trap door that laid sticking up in the center, like a grave stone. Seeing that trap door made my stomach turn, and a horrifying realization set on me. That sinkhole wasn't just a coincidence. They meant to kill me by suffocating me in hot desert sand. If I hadn't broken away from the wall, and came up here when I did, I would have for sure suffocated. Even if I could snap into an outfit that allowed me to breath, I wouldn't have had enough time to react to what was happening.

I sat in silence and stared at the trap door. That asshole planned to kill me. And leave my body in the cell. Then a realization dawned on me. He must think I'm dead. And if he thinks I'm dead, I'm free. He doesn't know that I survived. I looked down at the chains, and knew that they would give me away in an instant. I grabbed the chain on my left foot first, 1 loop away from the band on my ankle, and sat and pride it open. It took upwards of 5 minutes, but I was essentially free of the chain, except for the actual band itself and the 1 loop.