prologue

nobody really seems to know how calum and michael's friendship came to be, or how they managed to stay friends. it's not like they were completely opposite, but typically those who hated pretty much everyone would especially hate annoying people. on calum's part, this was different.

in 3rd grade, when the two sat side by side in the principal's office, michael was quick to introduce himself. "michael gordon clifford, pleasure to meet ya-"

"gordon?" calum snickered, earning a hush from the office secretary. so, he lowered his voice. "gordon is a stupid middle name."

"at least my name isn't calum. what part of asia are you from?"

"i'm not asian you jerk!" calum whisper-shouted back, but michael just ignored him. so he continued. "... why are you at the principal's office even? i never see you get in trouble."

"oh, you know, pulled hayley's hair during class then took her snack. you?"

"the usual. talked back to the teacher and refused to pay attention in class." michael stared at calum in awe. calum just smirked his little 9 year old smirk as he puffed his chest out proudly.

"ballsy move, hood. i like you. ... do you like fifa? you should come play fifa with me after school?" calum stared at him in shock. no one had ever invited him to their house! quickly, he shook his head, just in time for the principal to drag him into his office. "i'll see you after school, michael!"

-

6 years later

"calum! sweetie, could you come down here?"

"fuck my life." calum muttered into his pillow, pretending he didn't hear his mother.

"but michael's here!" before she could finish her sentence, calum was already dressed. he zipped up his jacket as he made his way down the stairs to greet his best friend of six years. they bumped fists with each other, snickering as they made exploding sounds.

michael twirled the blue streak in his black hair as he smiled at calum's mother. "as always, a pleasure to see you, joy. you tell mali i said hi." he added a playful wink at the end, earning a punch from calum. the two were halfway out the door before they were pulled back roughly by their hoods.

"boys, you two better not cause any trouble. also, calum, don't forget. the hemmings are coming over for dinner tonight." joy spoke, wagging her finger at her son.

calum just groaned. he hadn't met the hemmings, but apparently his mom had already. and a part of calum made him regret coming out of the closet to his family a few months before, because his mom babbled on and on about how their son luke was "attractive and the same age as him".

calum just shrugged. "we'll be back by five-"

"we...? calum, we talked about this... i'm sorry michael, maybe another time." joy spoke with guilt, and calum's face fell while michael stayed smiling.

"it's fine! really!" it really isn't. "just make sure this hemmings boy doesn't take calum away from me!~" or i'll kill him.

calum rolled his eyes as he led michael out of his house and to the starbucks down the street so they could rate all the people who entered the place.

-

five o'clock rolled around, and calum sighed as he made it to his driveway. "michael, i don't want you to leave... i'd rather hang with you instead of that hemmings guy."

"good, cause i have an idea."

-

michael had been sandwiched between calum's clothes in his walk-in closet for an hour now. the plan was once the hemmings left, he would come out and hang with calum for a bit longer.

he just about died at what happened soon after.

"luke, i can't believe you like fifa! you're so cool!"

"... thanks. you're really cool, calum." his voice was a little scratchy, as if he didn't speak much, and michael thought it was strange that calum hadn't teased him for it. instead, luke sat on michael's usual spot on calum's bed, using michael's usual controller while he laughed at michael's jokes calum was telling him.

a long while later, luke had to say goodbye to calum. michael nearly tore at one of calum's shirt when he peered through the door crack to see luke pulling calum into hug. "thank you for tonight, calum. i already feel like we're going to be best friends!"

worst of all? calum just smiled and nodded! and if that wasn't the worst part, after the hemmings family left, calum shut off his lights and went straight to bed, forgetting about michael as he quickly fell asleep.

suddenly, michael made it his ultimate goal to make luke hemmings' life hell.

--

prologue ayyy! i have really good feelings about this story! i'm honestly excited! (':

also that pic is what calum and michael look like! COUGH COUGH CUTIES....

i think after i put up a few chapters, i'll start asking for votes?? idk yet. but i hope you'll like this story!

much love! xx

PS, go to my story ideas and help me figure out which fanfic i should start next??