Chapter 48

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH!!!🏳️‍🌈🥞

I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting for this chapter. I know I probably need to set up a schedule or something, or find a cure for writers block.

I'm literally writing the last few paragraphs in class right now because, why not? I hope you all are doing okay and I want you to know that - even though I don't know you - I love and support each and every one of you!! Please be safe and enjoy pride month.❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

• • • • • • • • • •

"I have the dark mark" the words stung into Draco's heart, forcing his chest to tighten as guilt pooled from his unconscious. Why was he feeling guilty? He was not the one responsible for her choice - but he knew he was responsible for other things. Had he put his friends in danger too?

Blaise seemed go numb at her words. He had no appropriate response for what was happening - what exactly do you say when you find out that one of your best friends carried the same curse on their forearm?

"I-" Pansy hesitated. "I'm sorry that you two had to find out this way."

Draco clenched his jaw. "As am I."

"What do you mean?" She asked, looking at Blaise for any answers. Neither he knew what Draco was about to do. "Draco, what did you do?"

"I think you both know what I'm talking about" he scowled, but not at them. The anger was directed towards himself. "When?"

"Draco-"

"When?" He asked again, this time turning his gaze to Blaise - a clear gesture that the question wasn't just directed towards Pansy.

It was here when the three finally talked about what had been happening when they weren't together. It was here when they realised that they truly were scared of what the future holds; yet the fear they had for their own safety didn't compare to that which they felt for the three Gryffindors on the other side of the castle.

* * *

Of course Ron didn't know where Draco was right now. He had suggested Harry to look in the library or down by the lake - he wasn't there. Obviously. But by the time dinner came around, Harry practically leaped towards the great hall.

Forks and knives clattered loudly along with the voices and gossip of students; but it all sounded like a constant white noise that accompanied Harry's thoughts in the background. He looked around for Draco, or anyone from the Slytherin group, but only saw an empty space where they should've sat.

"Harry, calm down" Hermione muttered. "If your leg bounced any faster you will drill a bloody hole in the ground."

Harry blushed in embarrassment and stopped bouncing his leg, knowing full well that it would just start later. "Sorry..."

The girl sighed and set down her glass of pumpkin juice, looking at Ron for any support.

The ginger noticed and, for once, swallowed before he asked, "are you alright? You've been... Odd... Since dinner started"

Harry nodded. "I just-"

"- still looking for Draco?" He asked.

Harry nodded once again. Hermione fought the urge to smile. "Well maybe if you didn't have your back turned on the Slytherin table you would've noticed that he had just sat down."

"What-"

"- Attention all students!" McGonagall's voice cut through the noise of the students. It was clear that Harry would indeed have to wait until after dinner.

***

"Ron?" Hermione spoke up after dinner had finished. "Did you ever owl your mother back?"

Ron frowned for a moment, wondering what the girl could possibly be talking about. "What are you talking about?"

Hermione sighed and shook her head. "Didn't Fred and George tell you that she wanted to talk to you about Ginny when we got invited to their shop?" She reminded.

"Wh- Oh crap!" He whined. "Thanks for reminding me, I probably have to go..." Ron finally rambled and stood up, hurrying out the open doors of the Great hall. Harry arched a brow and looked back at Hermione. "Wasn't that a week ago?"

"Possibly more" Hermione shrugged. "But that's not the point - I needed to ask you something" she stated.

"And you had to get rid of Ron to do that?" Harry teased half-heartedly. His mind still wandering to the blonde's whereabouts.

"No - I just didn't want Mrs Weasley to worry. Or get upset" Hermione stated calmly. "Anyway... I've noticed that you seem distracted, and considering it's been the same thing for the last few weeks, I'm going to assume that it's about Draco" Harry blushed. "So what's going on?"

Harry looked around at the students who stood up around them. Everyone hurrying out of the Great hall to finish homework or finally get some sleep. "I'm going to confront him" Hermione's eyes widened at his words. "Sort of. I want to talk to him about something - something that might get all of them out."

Hermione sighed sceptically. "Harry, are you sure that it will work? This is the Dark Lord we're talking about. You can't take back the mark once you become a Deatheater" her voice was small as her mind drifted to Pansy. "I'm just saying that- what if it doesn't work?"

Of course Hermione had a point. She always had one. But Harry is was desperate. He wasn't going to give up this easily. "It will."

There was no doubt that there was a flicker of both doupt and hope in Hermione's eyes. She smiled sadly and looked over Harry's shoulders - her gaze landing on Pansy and Draco as he stopped to murmur something in her ear. She nodded slowly and replied. He looked back up and his eyes immediately fixed on Harry. "I hope so. I'll see you later."

Harry, a little confused by her sudden eagerness to leave, nodded. "Alright..."

"Harry" Draco's voice cut in, and Harry found himself letting out a sigh of relief when he turned to face his boyfriend; but all the relief seemed to gush out when seeing Draco's expression. "Can we talk? A-alone?"