Chapter 23

Kiefer's POV

Kiefer: Ly, nakita mo ba 'yo - Mike! Coach! W-what are you doing here?

Nagulat ako paglabas ko ng kwarto nakita ko si Mike at si Coach Spoe na nakaupo sa sofa kausap ni Aly. I know Coach will want to talk to me, but I never thought na pupunta siya ng Pilipinas para lang gawin 'yon.

Alyssa: They're here to talk to you about your contract with Miami.

Kiefer: Ah okay.

Alyssa: (tumingin kay Mike at Coach Spoe) Uhm, since Kiefer's already here, I'll leave you to talk. If you need anything I'll just be in my bedroom.

Coach Spoe: Thank you Alyssa.

Mike: Thanks Aly.

Aly smiled at Mike and Coach Spoe, pero nung nagkatinginan kami, nawala na nga 'yong ngiti niya, tinaasan pa niya 'ko ng kilay. Hindi ko sinabi sa kanya 'yong tungkol sa plano ko kasi alam kong hindi siya papayag. Ipagpipilitan niya lang na bumalik ako ng US para ituloy 'yong NBA career ko.

Pagpasok ni Aly sa kwarto niya, nagdalawang isip ako kung makikipag-usap na 'ko kina Coach o kung susundan ko muna siya.

Mike: Just talk to her later Kief. Sorry, we had no idea that she didn't know anything.

Tumango ako kay Mike tapos umupo na 'ko sa tapat nila ni Coach Spoe, kung saan din nakaupo si Aly kanina. I looked at them and smiled kahit na hindi ko sigurado kung anong itatakbo ng pag-uusap namin.

Kiefer: Merry Christmas Coach! You should have arrived a few days earlier, you could have celebrated Christmas here.

Coach Spoe: I know, but we had a game and I had to finish that first.

Kiefer: Oh yeah. (after a few seconds) Uhm Coach, I haven't apologized yet for disappearing on the team without any word. I'm sorry.

Coach Spoe: It's okay, Mike explained what happened. I hope everything's better with Alyssa now.

Kiefer: Yes, much better. She's almost past the critical stage of her pregnancy. Just one more week and she's done with her bed rest.

Coach Spoe: That's good to hear. (after a few seconds) Does this mean you'll be coming back to the team soon?

Napatingin ako saglit kay Mike and he just smiled at me before shrugging his shoulders.

Kiefer: Ah, I thought Mike told you?

Coach Spoe: Yes he did, and that's why I'm here. Please don't leave the team Kief. If you want to re-negotiate the terms of your contract, that's not going to be a problem. We can do that.

Kiefer: Honestly Coach, I wish there's a way I can keep playing for you and be with my family at the same time, but I need to make a choice. And there's no way I'm leaving my family.

Coach Spoe: How about if you bring Alyssa with you when you return to the US? I'd be happy to arrange for her fiance visa and then she can give birth there. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Kiefer: That would be ideal, but I know she's not going to agree to that plan.

Coach Spoe: Why not?

Kiefer: Because we're not in a romantic relationship. Aly and I are really just bestfriends who are about to become parents.

Coach Spoe: I see. (after a few seconds) Judging from her reaction earlier, you haven't discussed this with her yet. Why don't you try? She might agree to come with you anyway.

Kiefer: I still think it's hopeless. She's not going to give up her life here just like that. All she'd do is push me to go back to the US while she stays here.