II

______________________Synopsis: Nico and Kung Lao must adjust to their new realities

Synopsis: Nico and Kung Lao must adjust to their new realities.
Warning(s): Explicit language, graphic death, blood, violence, gore, possible smut(?) more to be added in series...
Note: Going in, I'm still undecided on how much of a slow burn to make Nico and Kung Lao. Yeah, I added a red filter and more graphics to the cover bc I was bored after squats.
______________________

Nico's breath hitched in his throat. Emerald eyes weighed in worry as he glanced at his best friend, and foster sister, Aly. "Are you sure about this, Aly?" He asked her.

They knelt across from one another. A worn shag carpet beneath their knees. The black fibers shimmered under the light of the emergency flashlight Aly had stolen from their foster mom's garage.

Aly's lips curved into a comforting grin. "I'm positive. We'll be fine." She said. She eased the flashlight to the carpet, careful not to make a thud. The sheet covering the preteens lit up as the stream passed through.

A dented cardboard box rested between them. It's lid ajar. Dirt stains streaked upon all sides.

Nico gulped. His eyes fell to his blue mittens. Gifted to him by Aly. She'd stolen them out of goodwill after catching Nico eye them a few times. It was too cold for his worn leather ones.

Aly's hands fell into his. She gave his hands a squeeze over the mitts. His eyes lifted into hers. She smiled and said "Don't be a scaredy-cat."

Nico rolled his eyes and fought a smile. "I'm not a scaredy-cat, but I don't think this is safe. Nothing good ever happens when I take off my gloves." He warned.

"What's the worst that could happen? I see your hangnails?" She snorted, singling out his left glove.

He went stiff. He clamped his right hand down on her wrist. Eyes widened. "Don't!" He practically screamed. "Not this one," He said.

"Sh," Aly hissed. "What's the deal?"

"This hand isn't the right one," He insisted.

"I know, it's your left."

"Aly, I'm serious. This is stupid, we shouldn't do this." He pulled his hands back. He knocked the lid of the box off. Exposing the corpse of a rat from the kitchen cabinets. Rigid as the poison had long done it's job.

Nico grimaced. He crossed his arms and glanced at Aly. He didn't want to disappoint her. She was the only friend he'd ever made. If he lost her attention, he would have no one. In the same breath, if he gave Aly what she wanted, he could very well lose her.

"Come on, Nico, think of how cool this is. You have magic," She enthused. "I know you can do this. You just have to stop being afraid."