nirvana

march 19th, 1988

seattle, washington

molly awoke to the incessant ringing of her phone.

groaning, she rolled over and attempted to muffle the sound by covering her ears with her pillow.

"shhhhhh," molly said, as if it would listen.

when it didn't, she grumbled to herself, deciding that if she wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep, she might as well pick up the phone.

"what?"

"did you just wake up?" the female voice on the other end asked.

"what time is it?"

"one."

"then... no," molly said, running her fingers through her wild hair.

the other voice laughed, "sure, molls."

"is there a reason you called, kayla, or do you just enjoy my torment?"

"stacey wants you in tacoma tonight, at the community world theatre."

"wasn't i just there, like, last week? can't she get someone else to do it?"

in the past year or so, molly had, more or less, become an adult. she had her own apartment, a steady(ish) job, and even some new friends- including kayla.

her photography dreams were coming into fruition. molly had been freelancing for all the local magazines, fanzines, and newspapers, along with doing the cover art for some bands albums.

stacey sawyer was the co-editor, along with charles cross, of the rocket, a seattle-based newspaper that covered the northwest music scene.

despite the fact that stacey wasn't technically molly's boss, she was one of her primary sources of income, so molly was obliged to do as she said.

"no can do, babe. sorry."

kayla was essentially stacey's secretary, but she preferred the term administrative assistant.

whatever the fuck that meant.

"but," she continued, "you might actually like this one."

"who is it?" molly questioned, twirling the phone cord around her finger.

"lush, the ones from the uk. you remember, right? the girl with the red hair?"

"yes, kay, i know who lush is. is stacey really sending me a half hour out of my way just for them though?"

"no, uh," molly heard the muffled sound of papers shuffling, "there's another band, a local one. used to be pen cap chew. they're fairly new, if i'm not mistaken, but they've played some shows around. pretty sure i've heard of them before. good thing they changed their name," she giggled.

"well what're they called now?"

"nirvana."

~

molly parked her red jeep in a spot outside the venue, pulling the sun visor down to check her makeup.

as you should expect by now, her hair had gone through more transitions.

an attempt at going platinum blonde had gone slightly wrong, frying her hair.

it may have been five inches shorter and choppy as hell, but hey, at least she got the color she wanted.