joy and fun

january 1st, 1987

seattle, washington

after the clock struck twelve at the club, the party hadn't stopped. almost every one of molly's friends had eventually came up to her, and together they had carried on with the drinking and smoking and partying until sam was wiping down the bar.

jon had never reappeared, but molly tried to keep those thoughts to the back of her head. she tried to enjoy dancing with andy and chris, and watching kurt break out of his shell a little, making conversation with new people and throwing shy, admiring looks at tracy when she was turned the other way. it was cute.

molly almost regretted introducing the two, though. a small part of her whispered, "that could be you."

molly would be stupid not be attracted to kurt. with his piercing eyes and dark humor, he was exactly her type. she had thought about what a relationship with him would look like; long, aimless drives in her jeep, music blasting, punk shows in shitty clubs on weekends, smoking uneven joints under the young street bridge, nothing to keep them warm but each other. not too different from their friendship as it already was. but then again, everything would be different. plus, there was the ever-looming thought of jon. if molly was ever to be in a relationship with another man, she would have to leave jon first, and that was something she had never pictured before.

sure they had broken up, molly had flings and one night stands, but every time she got the same call- "i miss you, baby. i'm so sorry, please come back to me. i promise i'll do better."

yeah, right.

krist, molly, and kurt had all piled in the girls jeep and headed home at around 2:30 in the morning, almost the last people still in the lot.

among the last stragglers were tracy, andy, and chris, the latter of whom molly shared a special post-show ritual with; toke in the back of her jeep.

molly always had a setup of pillows and blankets in her trunk, ready for a sesh any time, an old cigar box filled with all the essentials- pipes, lighters, papers, and a little stash.

tonight, chris and molly were not alone, their friends joining them. nine people squished in the back of chris and molly's cars. the brunette boy had pulled his truck around so the bed faced molly's trunk, making it easier to pass around the joints krist had been rolling, as well as hear each other.

"god, i love you molly," tracy sighed after passing the joint off to her female friend, leaning back into kurt, who blushed in the dark.

"are you sure you don't just love my weed?" molly smirked, causing the group to laugh and tracy to turn red, swatting at molly's arm.

the group of young adults sat in the parking lot for an hour, listening to music and laughing, enjoying the comfortable presence of the other's.

hiro, matt, and kim left first, followed by tracy, who shared another kiss with kurt behind her car, molly pinching his cheeks and teasing him when he got back.

molly had her head laid in chris' lap, his fingers running soothingly through her wild mess of hair, the girl letting out a hum of approval.

"last joint," andy said from chris' truck holding it up.

"light that shit up man," chris said.

andy did as he was told, offering it to krist, who sat next to him.

"i'm good, man. gonna have to drive those two home," he said to the blonde nodding towards molly and kurt, who was slumping against molly's car still, his eyes half shut.

andy passed the joint to chris' outstretched fingers.

"this one goes out to all you night owls- get home safe, and have a happy new year," the voice coming through the radio spoke up. the song started and molly sat up straight, recognizing it immediately.

"i love this song," she said softly.

"goodbye to you my trusted friend

we've known each other since we were nine or ten

together we've climbed hills and trees

learned of love and abc's," terry jacks sang, his voice traveling out into the empty parking lot.

molly faintly began to sing along, moving to the beat.

andy joined in quietly, molly's eyes meeting his.

"think of me and i'll be there," they sang together, holding eye contact.

molly jumped up out of her trunk, reaching her hand out for andy to take, "dance with me," she whispered.

he took her warm hand in his own and slid out of the truck, wrapping an arm around her waist and swaying in the cold night air, still singing along.

kurt joined in, keeping his eyes down, almost like he was singing to himself.

chris did too, but he kept his eyes screwed completely shut, expressing all the emotions he felt at that minute through his voice.

krist had never been much of a singer, but he wasn't one to be left out of the fun, so he too joined in, albeit slightly off-key.

"goodbye papa, please pray for me

i was the black sheep of the family."

molly's voice cracked, her face buried in andy's hair.

"now that the spring is in the air

little children everywhere

when you see them, i'll be there."

as the group sang along, a crack of thunder rang out, heavy drops of rain following right after.

molly pulled back from andy slightly, looking up to the sky, letting the rain fall on her face, a joyous laugh escaping her lips.

letting go of the blonde, molly pulled on chris' arm, making him leave the comfort of her jeep and dance with her.

seeing her do the same to kurt, krist hopped down with no objection, waving his arms around wildly.

molly laughed a deep, loud laugh, spinning around in the rain.

"we had joy, we had fun

we had seasons in the sun," they yelled out, laughing at the irony of the lyrics and letting lose, stumbling all around, making up stupid dances, andy and krist doing some kind of rendition of a tango.

"goodbye michelle my little one

you gave me love and helped me find the sun

and every time that i was down

you would always come around

and get my feet back on the ground."

molly caught herself on the side of her car, feeling dizzy. she watched her friends, her heart swelling with love for them.

"goodbye michelle it's hard to die

when all the birds are singing in the sky

now that the spring is in the air

with the flowers everywhere

i wish that we could both be there."

perhaps if it wasn't raining, they would've seen the tears running town her face.

new chapter:) sorry this one was short, but i promise the next will be longer! thank you so much for reading, i hope you enjoyed, make sure to leave a comment and/or vote if you did<3