𝒌𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕

december 28, 1986

aberdeen, washington

"tell kurt he needs to come out with me on new year's eve."

"you should go out with molly on new year's eve, kurt."

"shut up krist."

"hey, man, don't shoot the messenger," the tall boy replied with raised eyebrows and a smirk, lifting his hands into the air.

molly alexander, kurt cobain, and krist novoselic sat in the latter's bedroom, molly having spent the last fifteen minutes trying to convince their blonde friend to go out with her on the eve of 1987.

"literally why not, kurt?" molly pouted, her tone exasperated, "it'll be so fun. good music, we'll get drunk, i'll introduce you to my friends. you have no reason not to."

"i'm not gonna know anyone but you."

"that's probably not true. plus you'll meet a bunch of new people," she said, then paused, "and krist is coming."

"i am?"

"yes."

kurt glanced between the two and rolled his eyes.

"i don't wanna go if jon is gonna be there."

molly groaned, "i don't see what your problem is with him. you've met him, like, twice."

jon jacobs.

molly's on-and-off boyfriend since her freshman year.

they had met at a concert. he was 19 and in a band, and she was 15, alone in the world except for a few friends and a deadbeat mother.

naturally, molly was immediately taken with him.

he was exactly what every girl wanted; a bad boy that would be good just for her.

the beginning of their relationship could've been a fairytale.

jon was quite literally like a prince in molly's eyes, sweeping her off her feet and whisking her away from the abuse and neglect of her mother.

his friends, all older, almost all musicians, became her friends. his taste in music became her's. the weekends molly would've spent at home became weekends to go out and party with jon's circle.

and it was great. for a little.

after they had been together for a while, molly started to wonder if perhaps there wasn't as much good in jon as she had originally thought.

but then again, his sharp tone meant nothing if she could be in the same room as him. nasty words and glares faded away with one glance into his eyes. a bruise was inconsequential if she could just taste his lips on hers afterwards.

none of molly's friends had ever approved of jon, which cause multiple broken friendships over the years. they could see he wasn't good for her. they could she how she'd changed. but jon was her first real love and molly didn't know what she would do if he wasn't in her life anymore.

perhaps molly's need for male validation, specifically from jon, had stemmed from the abandonment of her father. her "daddy issues," if you will.

she wouldn't leave him because he was the only male who would take care of her.

when they broke up, which never lasted long, she was never the one to end things. her love for jon, her need to be loved by jon, overshadowed any bad qualities he had.

"he's an asshole. i don't like how he talks to you."

god, kurt sounded just like chris.

"but you don't know him yet, he isn't always like that," molly responded, almost begging her new best friend to just give the man a chance.