Draco

Song of the Chapter: Where's My Love by SYML

          "Send me the date when you get home, I'll put it on my calendar."

       Aary and Blaise each give me one last hug before exiting the front door. I watch out the window to make sure they apparate alright, then close the blinds.

        With my head resting against the window, I let out a heavy sigh. Mal was right, the lighter walls make this place look a lot more welcoming.

              Mal.

        When I say her name in my head, an image of her pops into my mind. I close my eyes to get a better look and instantly I smile.

            "God, I miss you." I say under my breath.

       She's not here but I know she's saying, "I miss you too, Drac."

       I wanted to be mad at her for leaving, the anger took over for quite some time. And when I added alcohol into the mix, it got a lot worse.

       But one day, while finishing the final drops of liquid in a whiskey bottle, I came across a book on the shelves in the study. And instantly, I knew what I had to do.

       After staring at the newly painted walls for a century, I finally head to the kitchen and begin cleaning up the empty cups. Snape always hated when there were dirty dishes in the sink so I try to keep it clean for his sake. It's the least I can do.

        I know they found each other up there, that's probably what made her stay. I had hoped for a long time that my love for her would keep her here no matter what, so when she was gone I was so upset with myself.

       I finish placing the dishes in the correct places, then dry off my hands on my trousers. Once I turn the lights off in the kitchen, I make my way to the sitting room and fall back into one of the chairs.

       But it's not that I didn't love her enough, or she didn't love me. I know our love was something beautiful, magical in a way. If it weren't for her, I would've been lost forever. The guidance she gave me in our little bit of time together will always stick with me. She will always be with me, and I know I will always be with her.

       The one thing that Malory wanted more than anything in the world was a father. Honestly, I think she just wanted a parent. She needed someone to watch her grow up, teach her the hardest spells. That's something that all of us need.

       So even though I want her here with me and I wish on that star every night that someday she'll appear, I know she's where she needs to be.

      I start to reach for the television remote, but then stop. The only thing on anymore is the news, which I could care less about. So instead of grabbing it, I reach a little further and pick up the book on the tea table.

       My fingers gently run across the front cover, feeling every detail. And after staring at it for a little longer, I decide to open it.

      We weren't a perfect couple, that's obvious. We had our moments of jealousy, conflict, and everything else in between. But like Mal always said, love stories like that are boring. And that's something we were definitely not.

        The page I open up to brings a smile to my face.

        And even though we weren't perfect, our love was beautiful. It may not be the happy ending that I had hoped for, but the time we had together makes up for it. Because it was in fact the greatest thing ever.

         "I can't describe to you how surprised I was to find out I loved her, old sport. I even hoped for a while that she'd throw me over, but she didn't, because she was in love with me too."

                               - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby