71.

Trigger Warning - Detailed descriptions that some may find disturbing. 

Song of the Chapter: I Found by Amber Run

Malory's POV

August 3rd, 1996

                     "Tea?"

     I look away from the window and up at Snape. He has two cups, one in each hand. I'm not really in the mood for a drink but I nod anyway. He carefully hands me the tea, then sits beside me on the sofa.

         "I'm sorry I just decided to show up here," I say after taking a sip. "I had nowhere else to go."

        He drinks from his cup slowly, then makes eye contact with me. "You're always welcome here, Malory."

       The water in my eyes begins to increase for the hundredth time tonight but I manage to push it back. I finish my drink quickly and place the cup on the tea table, then rest my head on his lap.

      I've never been close with anyone in my family so when people talk about wanting to spend quality time with relatives, I've never understood. But he makes me understand it. It's the comfort that only some people can give; the love from a father.

                     "He's not going to hate you now."

           I keep my eyes on the fireplace in front of me. "You don't know that."

               "I do," Snape responds while running his hand through my hair. "Although Draco and I often argue and I find him despicable, I see how he cares for you. He may be overwhelmed but I think a part of that is due to the fact that you're his best friend and he had no idea."

      The lump in my throat starts to grow along with the guilt in my gut. "Did I do the wrong thing? Was it wrong of me to keep it from him?"

       It takes Snape a moment to answer and at first I assume he's not going to reply at all.

             "You were trying to protect the people you love the most," He sighs. "It may seem wrong in their eyes for a little bit but they'll eventually understand."

      As the rain outside gets louder, the tears in my eyes find their way out. When the first one falls onto my cheek, I try with everything in me to ignore it. My teeth dig into my bottom lip, my nails bury themselves in the skin on my thighs. But trying to not focus on it only makes it the main idea in my mind.

                     "I just don't want anyone getting hurt." I cry.

       Snape pulls on my arm, signaling for me to sit upright again. I try to wipe the tears on my face quickly but he gets to them before me. With his thumb running across the water under my eyes, he gives me a gentle smile.

       "I can't guarantee you that people won't get hurt," He says softly. "But I will do everything I can."

                    ~                      ~                        ~

       Once Draco, Aary, and Blaise exit the manor and I turn my head back, the first person I make eye contact with is Snape. He's giving me a blank stare and I don't know if it's because he's upset with me for lying or because he knew I'd end up here either way.