34

~MATTEO~

It's been two days since we rescued Clair. But she was in coma. The doctors said her baby was fine and I was thankful for that, but she was not in good shape so her body had to shut down.

"The doctor said he's fine. The baby's healthy and strong", I told my unconscious wife. "Please just wake up", I whispered and sniffled. I wiped the tears from my eyes and kissed her forehead.

I stood up and walked out of the room. Luca was seated on the floor beside the door with his head in his hands. He looked so disturbed and worried.

"What's wrong?", I sat beside him on the floor. He raised his head and looked at me. My features softened as I took in his state. His eyes were bloodshot like he just finished crying.

Sam.

"What happened?", I asked him. "W-while you were in Clair's room, Sam's heartbeat shot up and her body went into shock. They had to perform a mini surgery to make her calm down. Now she's in coma. The doctor said she cut two main arteries", he sniffled. It was a rare thing fir Luca to cry over a female.

"Don't get to worked up", I pulled him in a hug. "W-what if I l-lose her?", he stuttered as he stood up. "Luca! Never say that in your life again. Seeing that she's the main reason you smile will never ever make her leave you", I told him. Really, the main reason why Luca would always smile was Sam.

"Thanks, man", he wiped his tears. "Anything for you, bestie", I hugged him and he smiled. "Let's get you something to eat", I said as I dragged him with me. "what about you?",he asked. "I'm not hungry yet. But my focus is on you", I patted his back and pulled him down the hallway out of the hospital.

I literally dragged him into the diner. "Go to the bathroom and wash up. I'm not letting you eat with that face", I cringed dramatically and he glared at me making me laugh as he walked to the bathroom.

I walked towards the counter and a lady in a waitress outfit. "Hey can I help you?", she asked seductively as she twirled a piece of her blonde hair. I mentally rolled my eyes as she rested on the counter showing me some cleavage. Can't she have some decency?

"I need two bottles of mountain dew and two plates of waffles and pancake with butter and syrup", I answered. "Okay", she purred like a cat and I really wanted to cringe. She turned around and walked away swaying whatever God managed to give her.

I walked over to an empty booth by the window and got seated. "I hope I look presentable now", Luca murmured distastefully as he sat across me. I looked up at him and grinned. "You look decent enough though", I winked and he rolled his eyes.

He wasn't fond of me teasing him. Usually, it was the other way round. He'd be teasing the hell out of me, annoying me to the brim and I'd be planning how to give him a punch on his face that would last long.

"Here is your order".

I turned my head to see the blonde girl. "Thank you", I said to her. She nodded eyeing Luca and I like we were pieces of candy. "Anything else?", she asked.

"No. you can go", I said dismissively. She nodded and walked away. "I really don't appreciate people eyeing me like a piece of meat", Luca ranted to me. I laughed at his misery, "We're in it together, bro". He rolled his eyes and we dug into our food.

I watched as he chews his food slowly. "Do have to space out?", I asked him with a raised brow. His eyes snapped towards me and he rolled them. "Let me eat in peace for once", he grumbled. Looking at our situation, I let out a little laugh.

"What's funny?", he asked in confusion. "It's like we switched characters. I'm now the caring and fun one while you're the stuck up and grumpy one", I told him.

"It's kinda weird though, but it's cool", he said with a shrug and I grinned. "What are you going to do when Sam wakes up?", I asked him as I chewed on my food. "I was going to propose to her on her birthday", a sad smile formed on his lips.

"Have you picked out the ring?", I ask. "Nope, I was hoping to ask you and Briana to follow me but this situation came up", he shrugged. "We'll go after we check on them", I said. "Awe, thanks man", he grinned and I was satisfied after I saw that.

֍

I looked at my wife's sleeping form as I walked into the room. "Do you know how hard it is to not cry anytime I see you like this?", I asked her. My voice was a little shaky. "Please just wake up", I sat on the chair beside her.

I began to say a short prayer and when I was done, I placed a hand on her right cheek. "I love you, please just come back". Then the heart monitor started beeping fast and I frowned as it slowed down.

I was still staring at the monitor when I heard the voice I've been dying to hear for a long time.

"Teo?"

I whipped my head to the side to see Clair trying to open her eyes. My heart leaped for joy as I placed both hands beside her face. "Clair?", I said out loud.

Her eyes opened slowly and big brown orbs were staring back at me. "Matteo?", she said in disbelief. "Hey, baby", I cooed happily.

֍

~CLAIR~

I looked at my fingers as I fidgeted with them. My family and Matteo's family were here. "My baby! I'm so happy you're okay", mom cupped my face as tears fell down her cheeks. "Mom, I'm fine. Please stop crying", I wiped her tears with my hands. Mrs. Rossi walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me in a warm hug, "I'm so happy you're okay". "Thank you", I smiled.

After about thirty minutes of being hugged by my family and in-laws, they decided to leave. Briana made my heart to melt the most.

"Are you hungry?". I raised my head to see Matteo by the window. "No", I answered truthfully.

"Well, that sucks because you'll still eat", he said as he walked towards me. "I'll have a nurse come up here to help you clean up while I get you food", he kissed my cheeks and I nodded.

He walked out of the room and in about three minutes a nurse came in. she looked to be around the age of thirty. "Hello dear, I'm Mirabel", she introduced herself. "Hi", I waved a little. "Let's get you cleaned up", she walked over to me and helped me get off the bed.

After about thirty minutes of brushing and taking a warm bubble bath, I got dressed in a new blue hospital gown. "He'll soon be here", Mirabel informed me as she braided my damp hair. My heartbeat was a little bit faster when she said that. "Um, okay", I breathed.

She chuckled and tapped my forehead. "Nervous are we?", she asked playfully. I blushed and played with the hem of the gown. "Just be yourself", she smiled and I nodded. The door opened and Matteo walked in holding a McDonald paper bag. "Thank you for watching her", he said to Mirabel. "You're welcome, sir", she smiled and left.

"Your braid looks cute on you", he said sitting on the bed beside me. I blushed and look away, "Thank you". "Ready to eat?", he asked. "But I'm not hungry", I said. "But the baby is hungry and that means you're hungry. So whether you like it or not, I'm feeding you", he said and I smiled.

"Okay then", I said in defeat and he grinned. "That's my girl", he said and I laughed as he opened the bag.