"Let's get to the hospital before it's late", he said and I nodded.

֍

"Are you ready?", Dr. Nisi asked me. I looked at the woman and nervously nodded. "Don't worry dear, it won't hurt you", she smiled warmly. She looked to be about the age of fifty. She helped me lay my back on the bed. I wasn't wearing my sundress but a green hospital gown that had no zip or button only a rope to tie it together. She opens the space that showed my stomach and squirted a cold gel on my stomach.

"Sorry, it's cold", she apologized. I felt a little squeeze on my hand and I realized Matteo was still here. Now I'm self conscious. Dr, Nisi spread the gel over my lower stomach and then began to move a device that looked like a mouse on my stomach while she looked at the screen.

"Wow", she said. I frowned as I look at her in confusion. She seemed to notice this. "Both of you should look at the screen", she said. Using a laser beam, she pointed at a little moving thing under some muscles.

My throat tightened as my heart beat faster. Is that...?

"This is the little being growing inside you", she said with a smile. I looked at Matteo, he was staring at the screen like as if he had seen the most beautiful thing in the world.

"Do you want to hear the heart beat?", she asked me and I nodded. She clicks a button and a loud but steady thudding filled the room.

That's my baby!

And it's alive and living!

Tears of joy filled my eyes as I covered my mouth with my hand to stop myself from crying. "I'm going to take pictures and print them out", she said and I nodded.

Matteo looked like he was trying not to crying. This is the first time I'm seeing him trying to hide his emotions. Normally, it's very easy for him to hide them.

"You can go and clean up while I get them ready", she said and I nodded standing up. I walked out of the office and headed for the dressing room. After cleaning up, I got dressed in my sundress and looked in the mirror.

I placed a hand on my stomach and smiled. Fuck, I'm going to cry. "Not now, Clair, not now", I told myself. I sighed and walked out of the bathroom.

"Have a sit, Mrs. Rossi", Dr. Nisi said as I entered the office. I walked over to her desk where Matteo was sitting in front of her and sat beside him. She folded her hands in front of her on the desk and smiled warmly at us.

"Congratulations to both of you, I'm happy to say that you're one month and half long", she says. "Thank you", Matteo says. "It's no problem son", she says. She turns to face me, "Do you feel any kind of illness at morning?", she asks. I nod, "I've been feeling nauseous at mornings".

"Your baby is really healthy and it's also part of the morning sickness, don't worry. I need you to come back next month again for another checkup. I want you to be careful because this is the first trimester pregnancy. It's easy for the foetus to abort", she said.

"We will", Matteo said and she nodded. "Do not do anything stressful, walking will be a good exercise for you. When you feel tired, please do rest. Sex is also allowed", she said. That last part made my cheeks burn with embarrassment, she didn't have to say that.

"Thanks or the information Doc", Matteo said. "I'll do anything for your family. Here are the pictures", she handed him a folder.

We stood up and shook hands. "Thank you", I smiled at her gratefully. "Stay healthy, sweetheart", she said and I nodded.

We walked out of the office after waving her bye and headed out of the hospital. I didn't even know what to say to him so I kept quiet throughout the ride home.

I was truly happy. I had a living being growing inside me. I was going to be a mother!

"How was the test?", Briana asked as we step out of the car. "I have an appointment, so I'll see you guys later", Matteo told us. "Okay", I nodded as he handed me the folder. "I'll see you at dinner", he kissed my cheeks and entered the car.

My cheeks reddened as I blinked several times. "Let's go in, I made raspberry cupcakes", she grabbed my hand and pulled me into the house.

*

*

*

I told Briana everything and showed her the pictures. Sam came along too and I did the same thing. "I want to get married now!", Briana groaned. "You better focus on your accounting business first", I told her. She glared at me and I smiled.

"Do you even have a boyfriend?", Sam asked her. Her cheeks reddened as she shook her head in embarrassment. "No, Matteo and Dominick always chased all the guys I liked away", she mumbled. "They're asses", Sam said and we laughed.

We talked a little before Sam decided to leave. "You know you can just tell him that you love him", Briana said. I stopped cutting what I was cutting and looked at her. We were making dinner since Matteo would soon be home. "Who?", I asked. "You know who I mean. Stop trying to hide it and tell him", she pointed a large mixing spoon at me.

"Look I understand what's going on between both of you. You guys can't continue like this. I know I'm not a doctor but I heard depression makes a pregnant woman give birth prematurely", she told me.

"I'm not depressed!", I exclaimed and she laughed. "I'm not saying that you are. But seriously, both of you should love each other the right way. Not just care", she told me.

"I'll try", I said and she grinned in triumph. "That's more like it. And trust me, he'll love you back", she said to me. I smiled and we continued making dinner.