𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚗

It was a typical day at work for Shayne Topp - script read throughs, meetings, filming some Try Not to Laugh. Everybody was having a blast like normal, but something felt a little... off.

Damien had flown home to Georgia to meet with extended family over the holidays and take care of some property paperwork still left from his father's will. It was a tough trip to make but it had to be done if anything was to come of the assets. He would be missed on set but was bode a farewell 3 days before Christmas, with plans on returning 2 weeks later. He promised Shayne he would keep in touch to update him on how things were going, but it was now almost the end of the work day and Shayne sighed as he checked his phone, yet again finding nothing.

He took a glass out of the break room cupboard and filled it with water, taking a sip as he slumped against the counter in thought. Noah followed shortly after and did the same, still wearing his famous well-loved Hanukkah sweater. "What's up, Shanyé?"

"Not much."

He looked around the room at the myriads of dollar store decorations that had been up for nearly a month - weeks of glittering holiday cheer in the process of being packed away, back into dusty storage containers.

"Are you sure, dude? You've been quiet as fuck today."

"Have I?"

"Yeah. Keith said he's worried too. You were fine filming this morning but you've slowly lost momentum. Usually the holidays have the opposite effect, y'know?"

"Keith? Worried about me?"

"We all are."

"Oh." He fumbled with his phone again, tapping the screen open and closing it with an unintentional sigh.

"How's Dame?"

"I don't know. He hasn't texted me today."

"Is that why you're out of it?"

"Yeah, I guess so. It's just... I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting but he literally texts me every single day even if it's just a meme he found. And usually it comes in the morning, but today there's been nothing."

Noah nodded in thought. "Have you texted him to ask what's up?"

"No. I don't want to bother him, he might be dealing with family stuff."

"Couldn't hurt to try," said Yasmeen, who had come back in to finish packing up the decorations. "This isn't like him."

Shayne chewed at the inside of his lip for a minute, then inhaled and swiped the phone open. He tapped the contact named 'big D' in his texts and typed out a message.

Shayne: Hey man, just wanted to see how you're doing. Everyone says hi 👍🏼

He waited anxiously and wrapped stuff up for the day, desperately paying attention to his pocket in case he heard a chime or felt a buzz. This is insane, he thought to himself at one point. Why am I so worried? He's fine. He's gotta be fine.

The chime finally came an hour later. He felt his heart skip a beat as he pulled the phone out to check.

Damien: Shit, sorry dude. Been a rough couple days. I'll text you when I can. Say hi for me too.
Shayne: I will. Hope it gets better for you
Damien: Me too. Thanks bud

Shayne closed the screen and let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, then grabbed his stuff and clocked out for the day. He texted Noah to update him and hopped in the car to drive home, stopping by Damien's first to feed Freyja and Zelda, since his roommate had moved out a couple months prior.