64 | ruby was the best of us

Jordan sat next to Josie in the assembly hall, waiting for Alaric to start talking

Jordan sat next to Josie in the assembly hall, waiting for Alaric to start talking. Reaching the podium the older Saltzman began, "I know we've been through a lot in the last few days. Well, months, really. Okay, uh, it's been a rough couple years, to be honest. And I wish I could say the worst was over. But no matter what comes next, I firmly believe that we will be able to get through it if we stand united as a school, a community..."

Jordan's eyes darted around the room as he tried to find his older sister, but he doesn't. Alyssa cleared her throat, "Sorry, just for clarification, does our community include your daughter, who murdered me and held the entire school hostage to stage a grotesque display of black magic power?" She asked, as other students started to murmur amongst themselves.

"Josie is back to normal and safe." Alaric answered Alyssa. "Thanks to Hope, who I'm noticing isn't here at the ass crack of dawn like the rest of us. So much for unity, I guess." Alyssa pointed out as she made a good point.

"I'm sure you all can understand, Hope was hit hard by what happened to Ruby, and she's just taking some time for herself." Alaric said into the microphone, as Rafael's shoulder shrink upon being reminded that he had killed Ruby and Landon.

"How is my boy Landon?" Wade asked, standing up. "Getting Landon back, as well as Ruby is my top priority, and I won't stop until I do. And that would go for any one of you." Alaric insisted. "Okay, so, what are we supposed to do now? And why are we all wearing gym clothes?" Kaleb asked as he stood up.

"Something you haven't had a chance to do in far too long: be kids. I want you to remember what it's like to not have to worry about something you shouldn't have to and grow closer together in the process." Alaric smiled.

Jordan glanced over at Lizzie, noticing that she seemed intrigued. "Now, before you ask me how... As president of the Student Activities Committee, I'd like to welcome you all to the first ever Salvatore School Field Day. The buses are waiting for you outside. Don't forget to bring your smiles." MG said, as he stood up.

❤︎

A knock was heard at the door, but Monica ignored it. Pushing the door open slowly, Lizzie found her girlfriend sitting on the edge of Ruby's bed, peering down at her lifeless body.

"Hey babe.." Lizzie spoke up softly, as Monica turned her head around. "Hey Liz." She replied, her tone sounding flat. "You weren't at assembly this morning... I just want to see how you're going." The Saltzman said, approaching the taller girl.

Lizzie reaches out and took Monica's hand gently. "My best friend is dead. Things couldn't be better." Monica said, voice now filled with sarcasm and misery as she peered down at Ruby's still body. "Ruby was the best of us. She deserved better than all of this." Lizzie sighed. "If only I had been there a moment sooner.. I could have stopped Rafael." Monica managed to say, in almost a whisper.