Chapter 69: WITCH

Start from the beginning

Oscar: you want me to summon her?

Hazel: either way, it'll tell me what I need to know.

???: what are you doing?

They turn to see Emerald entering with a concern expression. Hazel grunts noncommittally, joining her behind Oscar.

Hazel: let's find out.

Oscar slowly gets up, holding his side. He takes a deep breath.

Oscar: Jinn.

Cyan mist unfurls from the Lamp. A nearby bubble of Grimm Liquid bursts and its droplets freeze in place. Hazel holds a protective arm out in front of Emerald, who takes a step back. Both look on in awe. Jinn materializes and stretches, settling into a relaxed position.

Jinn: why, hello again, old man. Did you have a question for me?

Oscar chuckles, waving hello to Jinn. He turns to look at Hazel.

Hazel: actually, I think all my questions are answered now.

Jinn looks on bemusedly.

Oscar: what are you going to do?

Hazel momentarily closes his eyes, likely in remembrance of his sister.

Hazel: what Gretchen would have done. And that starts with getting you away from here. Both of you.

He turns to Emerald, who can only blink in concern. Oscar approaches Hazel.

Oscar: I'm going to need something before I go.

Jinn: so just to be clear, none of you have a question for me?

Oscar: no, but we'll be bringing you with us.

Hazel and Emerald trade uneasy looks.

Hazel: the moment we move that thing, this place goes on high alert. Better to get you out first.

Oscar: then we should at least get Ember.

Emerald: we can't. She's with Salem.

Hazel: I'll get the kid and come back for the lamp. It's not like she knows the password anyway.

They then exit. Meanwhile, the group keeps moving through the corridors, trying to find their friends and avoid conflicts. After a while, Jaune had to stop boosting Ren's aura to keep his energy up, so he went ahead with Nero and Bayonetta to make sure the way was clear.

Dean: out of curiosity, uncle, does this remind you of hell?

Vergil: no. That was worse.

Jeanne: indeed. It was even worse when you're a disembodied soul who was slowly fading from existence.

Yang: well, at least some of us being friends again takes the sting out of impending doom.

Ren: it's okay to be afraid, you know. You don't always have to hide it with a joke.

Yang: glad I'm not the only one who's scared.

Týra: fear can be both a weapon and a burden when in battle. If you don't let it hold you back, then you'll be alright.

Nico: besides, all we have to do is find your friends and we can skedaddle.

Dean: and what if we have to fight the big bad witch herself?

Vergil: then you'll sit it out.

Mimir: that might not be an option, lad. She's powerful, and we'll need to deal with her should the time come.

Dean: yeah.

Vergil: you're not fighting your mother, and that's final.

He was about to argue more, but then the others come to them at full sprinting, and they try to hide from a passing seer. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long, and they're forced to fight enemies from both here and in Limbo. The ones in Limbo were Dean, Nero, Týra, and Vergil.