Chapter 3: Liar's Most Useful Tool

Start from the beginning

Regan smiles toothily. "New Cresthill, huh? Intriguing! Thank you very much for your help, kind sir! It is most appreciated!" He energetically shakes the man's hand and he returns it as best he can with the basket taking up his arms.

The man smiles and waves as he leaves. "You two take care, now!" He happily turns and makes his way to a house down the road.

Regan waves back then lowers his hands to his hips. "What a nice chap! The people here seem simply delightful, wouldn't you agree?" He turns back to Cree to be met with a glare that has become remarkably familiar to him at this point.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Cree snaps.

"Whatever do you mean? I was simply chivvying things along," Regan asks.

"We can't just run up to the first person we see and have a chit-chat with them. We need to lay low and not let anyone know we're not from this place. So how about you don't start wandering around asking for directions like a lost puppy. That will only make people suspicious." Cree glances around apprehensively.

Regan shakes his head. "While I understand where you're coming from, I'm afraid I have to disagree," he says.

Cree crosses his arms. "You disagree with me?"

Regan sighs and rests his hand on Cree's shoulder. "Oh, Tyrell my love, I certainly do not want to. I just—"

"You have three seconds to stop touching me before I break your arm."

Regan quickly retracts his hand and stuffs them both in his pockets as if he doesn't trust himself to keep them off. "Right, sorry. But really, I know you've grown used to the Utopia way of life and the mindset of never trusting anybody, but keep in mind this isn't Utopia."

"Are you always so blind to trust everybody you meet?" Cree frowns.

Regan shrugs. "Perhaps. I simply feel it is best to not label someone as an enemy unless you are prepared to fight them. I never wish for a fight, so I never declare my enemies." He smiles.

"What about Ivanna?" Cree grits his teeth.

Regan freezes for a moment and looks away. He had hoped to not be reminded of that, however the memory of it has somewhat faded over the past year. But the guilt hasn't left. That sickening feeling still stirs in his stomach whenever he thinks about it. He hasn't been able to hold that katana ever since.

"I... I'm not proud of that day, I'll admit. But thinking about the life saved in that action makes it more bearable. But you're right... I declared Ivanna as my enemy after what she did to Madhavi. And I killed her... but the regret I feel for what I did is what prevents me from ever doing it again. I wish for no more enemies to cross my path, and thus no more fights and no more bloodshed."

Cree sighs and shakes his head. "Whatever... we all need to wake up at some point and face reality. It's time you do too. Now, come on. Let's get to that damn tavern already," he grumbles and turns away.

Regan smiles and jogs at his side. "Inn."

"Shut the fuck up."

They enter the Drunken Ducks Inn and find a wide variety of people with features they've never seen before. Well, not in reality anyway. People with pointed ears and white hair, huge underbite teeth and green skin, cat ears and tails.

Regan gushes and holds the sides of his face. "Latanya wasn't exaggerating... this place is like Dungeons and Dragons! Oh, this is a dream come true!" He laughs happily. "All that's missing from this place is the mysterious rogue sulking in the shadows waiting to give us our quest!" He turns and looks down at Cree.