Chapter 2: For Every Good Reason

Start from the beginning

Cree grumbles and motions Thor inside before shutting the large metal doors behind them. "Regan. What did I say: Stay. Focused," he snaps.

Regan pouts and looks back at him. "But... come on, Ty! We're actually standing in the old Dominion Research Facility! Just imagine all the secrets we could discover down here! It must take years to study and record all the potential knowledge this place has in store! Who knows what we may find!" he gushes and runs his hand over the dark blue stone wall that's been chipped away over time.

Cree rolls his eyes. "Again, what were my rules to you coming with me?" He crosses his arms.

"I'm only allowed five moments of eye contact per day?"

Cree shakes his head. "Aside from that."

Regan thinks. "Oh right... no fanboying over science stuff and using words you don't understand. I can do that! No problem!" He laughs nervously.

Cree huffs and pushes forward, starting to walk down the long set of stairs that lead deeper into the facility. "I don't believe you," he says and keeps walking with Regan and Thor still following close behind.

They reach the big black door with a panel beside it on the wall that requires a handprint.

Regan cracks his knuckles and steps up to it. "Using my master skills and infinite understanding of technology, I should be able to crack this no problem! Just watch and marvel in my—"

Cree just punches his metal fist through the door and pries it open with only a little strain.

Regan clears his throat. "Or that. That works too I guess... Wow, you're strong..." he whispers the last part. Cree glares at him and walks into the room. He instantly sees Latanya sitting in front of the dark glass pod, staring at it in deep thought. She's no longer wearing her Cogency Elite uniform, but rather now just a pair of black pants, dark grey leather boots, and a violet long-sleeve turtle neck. Over it, she has a dark grey jean jacket.

As they enter, she instantly turns and looks at them. She smiles at Cree and stands up. "Tyrell. I saw the explosion. I assume the plan worked?" she says kindly and approaches them.

Regan's eyes gleam as she stands before them and he instantly forgets about everything Cree said before. "You're a Cogency Elite! Oh, you have no idea how excited I have been to meet you! Well, someone like you anyway! Since learning about you being here I have made so many theories about you! Like, you're supposedly tied to the Dominion, how is that—"

Without breaking his glare from Latanya, Cree throws his fist out and punches Regan in the center of his chest. He used his metal arm, so he didn't hit too hard, but it still got him to shut up. He ignores Regan and crosses his arms. "Yeah. It worked. Aside from the fact that Edith and CLive never came back. What the hell did Alain do?" he demands.

Latanya's eyes widen for a moment before she looks down and shakes her head. "They... didn't?" She bites her lip. Cree nods pointedly.

"Yeah, but we know Edith's alive. So tell us what the fuck happened and where she is," he says.

Latanya sighs. "I... was afraid of this. It is possible that seeing CLive was enough to force Alain's Pull to... take control. If he completed the merging..." She cracks a smile to herself. "He's finally whole. He's free," she says.

Cree glares at her. "Yeah, but CLive's dead. And now, Edith is missing. So tell us what you know before I show you what I've been wanting to do to any one of your order."

Latanya nods slowly. "Of course... but first, I must ask. What makes you so sure that she is alive? It's possible that the death of CLive simply made her choose to stay past the timer," she questions and looks between them.