girl in the mirror

my best friends ex boyfriend asked me to the dance, he's intelligent, decent looking, and understands how unfair life is sometimes... i knew shed be mad, i just knew it. but then again, what did i know?

monday:

"i told you! you two make such a great couple!" deanna laughed, chewing on the end of her pen sitting behind me in english class. "will you shut it! your loud to be so short..." i sighed, tearing little corners off my paper and balling them up before flicking them across the room. "who? who are you dating?!" one of the guys butted in and i sighed dramatically before glaring back at deanna. "i was asked to the dance-"

"by james!" deanna cut me off. i gritted my teeth.

_______________________________________________________

sitting at lunch with deanna, her new boyfriend Red, and several of the other guys, i sipped my juice nonchalanlty and staired at the wall opposite of where i sat.

"dam it! Red! Deanna, permission to destroy your boyfriend?!" i shouted, clasping my fingers around my bloody, probably broken, nose. she shrugged and said "if you'd answered one of us the first time...hey, did you paint your fingernails?"

"oh, im glad your so observant! yes, the red matches the BLOOD ON MY NOSE!" i glaired over to Red who snickered, looking down at his food tray.

"somebodys getting excited about saturday!" james stood behind me and pulled on a handful of my hair. i screeched, but it didnt make much noise through my hand that was still clasped over the lower part of my face. james looked confused and i removed my hand and smiled through the vivid red blood that i could taste dripping into my mouth. "ill be right back" i laughed, wincing slightly at the pain, and walked off toward the bathroom. i looked back to see everyone watching me, and james shaking his head.

_______________________________________________________

"jay... your nose is bleeding again" Deanna elbowed me in biology class and i sighed, comming back from my daydreams and wiping the blood on the back of my hand. Red, sitting infront of me, leaned back in his chair, i could hear him snickering lightly.

sliding down in my chair, i felt my foot hit the back legs of his, and with a swift blow, an audible snap came from the broken leg of his chair and it, with him in it, colapsed on the tile floor. he stood up yelling as the teacher walked in the room, we all sat in silence as she shook her head and walked back to her desk.

_______________________________________________________

"that was so unnecisary!" Deanna half-laughed as Red pretended to limp with us toward our last class of the day. "oh no, i feel it was quite necisary..." i laughed, digging in the pocket of my denim shorts for a couple bucks to feed into the drink machine. i turned to face the drink machine and ran into Du, one of james's friends.

"so i hear-" he began

i stuck my hand over his mouth "i dont want to hear it. now move" he was standing infront of the vending machine. he didnt move "wanna deck it out right here?!" i sighed holding up my fists. Du only laughed "i cant fight a girl!"

"girls can hit girls, dont worry" i smirked, and a teacher stepped between us.

"so not worth it Jay..." deanna and Red each grabbed one of my arms and pulled me back. i mumbled irritatedly all the way to last class.

__________________________________________________________

"i oughta knock some sense into that low-life-"

"stop it before you injur yourself"

"what?"

deanna reached down and smacked my hand that was curled into a fist, and there were four slits in my palm from my fingernails. i shrugged and shoved my hands into my pockets.