chapter 15: Dinner with the Johnsons

Start from the beginning

OK, this is strange! Out of a sudden she said I was beautiful and here I thought she was going to ask me about that possible kiss. Was she alright?

"Uh, thank you, A. You're very beautiful and I like you too." I hugged her back. Kids are honest, they don't lie. So I supposed she really meant it but why, that I had no idea. It could be because I played with them and didn't mind getting mud all over me. That made me wondered if Rob had ever brought Vienna here and maybe she didn't like the idea of the kids hanging around her.

"A dear, can you pleease help me set the table," said Aunt Sue as she stepped into the kitchen. She wore a floral apron. Her voice startled us. We broke free from out little hug. It seemed she too was startled to see me there. "Oh Hannaah dear, what are you doing in the kitchen?"

Amy replied for me, "She's thirsty, so I ask her to follow me here nana."

"A, you shouldn't invite a guest to the kitchen." Aunt Sue then turned her gaze to me and said, "I'm sorry, this girl doesn't know that a guest should be treated like God." She frowned at Amy and Amy crossed her arms sulkily.

"It's OK, Mrs. Johnson. You have a lovely kitchen." Aunt Susan (Mrs. Johnson) observed me when I said that. I wasn't sure what she was thinking but I felt she was taken aback that I found her kitchen lovely and other unknown facts. Perhaps the women Robert brought here despised the kitchen.

"Oh dear, you don't have to be formal, pleease just call me Aunt Suee," she drawled while she waddled her way to the huge metallic oven that lay in between the cabinets and next to the sink. .

"Alright, Aunt Sue. What can I do to help?" I grinned at the short loving gray-hair woman who was opposite of me.

"Hannah deaar, you don't have to do anything. Amy is here to help me," she said pointing at Amy who was still sulking.

I almost laughed at Amy's attitude. It reminded me of the time when my mom used to ask me to set the table and I would sulk, disapproving her decision as to why she didn't ask my brother. "Aunt Sue, I really want to help you. Please, let me help, I haven't set the table for sometimes now and I miss it," I said, trying to persuade her to let me do it, it'll also give Amy a chance to be free from her setting-table duty.

"Hannah dear, you're so sweet. Amy, go and call your brothers and sisters," Aunt Susan said.

"OK nana," Amy answered, feeling happy that I was taking over her duty.

After Amy disappeared from the kitchen, Aunt Susan slightly opened the oven, she peeked inside. Instantaneous, a sweet scent invaded my nostrils. "My chicken is ready," she said mostly to herself. She then took out some ceramic flatware sets and handed them to me. I kindly set it on the dining table that was opposite of the kitchen.

I made my way back to the kitchen. I helped her to take out the roasted chicken from the oven. A sweet mixture of ginger and cinnamon aroma filled the air. I placed the platter on the table while Aunt Susan brought some wheat bread.

After everything was set on the dining table, she told the kids to take their seats. Apparently, they were fighting to sit beside me. That was cute. Shortly, Robert came in the dining room with G on his back and followed by Uncle Bob.

"B, C, D and E, stop arguing. I will sit next to Hannah. You all might as well get seated now. If you don't, I will eat all these by myself," Robert muttered, placing a box of chocolate Mars on the table. The kids obeyed him and sat down.

He then, pulled out a chair for me to sit. I thanked him and took my sit. He sat beside me. I couldn't help but feel awkward being close to him. The image of the possible kiss ran into my mind.

Once all of them were seated, everyone held hands. I was obliged to hold Robert's hand. His hands felt warm. He squeezed my hand into his, that bastard. Uncle Bob adjusted his throat to say grace when suddenly the sound of rustling keys being forced into the door alerted everyone. They all eyed the living room when they heard the sound. The door knob was being turned open by someone. A huge man, in a white shirt, navy jeans and brown cowboy hat walked in.

"Daddy! Daddy is here!" The kids were jumping in their seats. The man, slowly approached the table. When he was nearer, his familiar hypnotic emerald eyes held my gaze. I gasped as I realized who he was; the man that made me run-away from home. I squeezed Robert's hand back in fear.

...............................................................

Enjoy reading and excuse my mistakes. I'll edit it when I'll complete the story until then, just bare it.

Let me know what you think, don't forget to leave a comment and a vote.