28

It was easy to arrange a meeting with the council. One, because it was Phil asking, and almost everyone in that room had the utmost respect for him. Two, because it was the matter of the Totem that would be being discussed, and something that could extend someone's life into immortality was not to be taken lightly. 

Of course, with how hectic everything was, this would not be the only matter being discussed. The woman that had killed the king had been found, and something would have to be done about that as well. 

You had a day to rest before the meetings were to be held, and you spent it with Phil, helping with some of the smaller repairs and catching up with Technoblade. It seemed he and Phil were closer than you thought - Techno had spent a number of years adventuring with Phil and two other men by the names of Wilbur and Tommy, who had left the land in search of a place to start their own country a long time ago.

It was nice, just to talk without having to worry about the war for once. 

Of course, time still passed, and before you knew it, you were gathering in the throne room with the council again, this time with the Totem in hand. 

The crown heir was sat in their throne on the dias - Technoblade on their right and the twins partially obscured in the shadows behind them. The throne to the left sat empty - but there was no doubt in you that it would be filled some day. There would need to be another heir at some point, of course. 

The rest of the council had their own seats around the room, a combination of villagers and pillagers alike, interspersed around the space. The subjects of the meeting - you, Phil and the woman who had killed the king (you'd found out her name was Gemma) - had your own seats opposite the dias where the thrones sat, directly in the line of sight of the crown heir.

The crown heir nodded to the scribe in the corner of the room with a small smile. "If you need us to pause so you can catch up at any point, or if you need someone to clarify something, please just say." 

With that, the meeting began.

"As you all know, everyone has been gathered today to make a decision about two very important subjects." The crown heir led in. "What happens to the Totem of Undying in Philza's possession," They gestured to the Totem in your lap. "And what happens to Gemma of Audunbast, the woman that killed the king."

Even though her life could be on the line, Gemma seemed unfazed, yellow eyes trained on the crown heir. Even though most of the people in this room were royalty and of high importance, you had no doubt that Gemma thought herself above them all. 

"The floor is open for discussion." The crown heir said, sitting back in their throne. 

Immediately, a man that you recognized from Etienne's court stood up from his seat, drawing the attention to himself. "I think it's clear what we have to do in at least one of these circumstances." He said. "Killing the king cannot go unpunished - war or otherwise." 

Murmurs agreement sounded from the other original members of Etienne's court in the room, and you could see the crown heir shift in their seat some. 

"Hold on now," One of the new members of the council - an evoker of some kind - rose from her chair, opposite the room from the man who had spoken first. "There's more to consider here. You all might be mad that the old king is dead, but from us pillaging types point of view, it's a good thing - I say she should be rewarded."

The room burst into chatter - old members of Etienne's court preaching outrage, and the new members of the council fighting back, saying that it was a good thing Etienne was dead. You turned to Phil to see him passive to it all, just watching the chaos unfold. 

It all came to a halt though when the crown heir cleared their throat, interrupting the back and forth. "We'll never get anything done if we argue like this." They said, gesturing to the man who had spoken first. "You will present your cases one at a time."

The man huffed, but straightened his robes and began to speak. "Murder is a capital crime - no less the murder of the late king. There should be no discussion about this in the first place - this woman is a criminal and should be tried and convicted as such."

"Thank you Lord Gnothis." The crown heir said. "Lady Denebola?"

The evoker on the other side of the room seemed much more composed that Lord Gnothis had been. "With all due respect to your late father, your Highness, without his demise, we would not have seen the end of the war or the rise of the council today. There's no working around the fact that the king had oppressed the pillaging tribes for years, and now with his death we've finally begun working towards equality and peace. If anything, this woman should be rewarded for her services to the people."

"Thank you Lady Denebola." The crown heir. "Now, in the spirit of fairness, we'll put it up to a vote. Those in favor of convicting Gemma of Audunbast, say raise a hand."

Hands went up around the room, mostly from the old member of Etienne's court. Notably, no one on the dias raised their fists. 

"And those in favor of rewarding Gemma of Audunbast?"

Hands went up again, this time from all the newer council members. They vastly outnumbered the people who had voted to convict her - there really wasn't even need for a count. 

"Very well." The crown heir said. "Now, on the matter of reward-"

Next to you, Phil cleared his throat. "If I may?"

The crown heir nodded. "Of course."

"We might as well kill two birds with one stone here." He said, taking the Totem from where you had been cradling it. "I think a Totem of Undying is a fair reward for ushering in a new era of peace, yeah?"