20

"And how exactly are we going to do that?" Eret asked, stepping through the glass shards on the floor to peer outside the now broken windows. The battle was louder now that the sound wasn't traveling through the glass, and it seemed more intense. The walls shuddered again as another boulder hit - this time, thankfully farther away from the throne room.

"Okay." Phil sighed, running a hand over his face. "You, boy." He gestured towards the windows. "Eret."

Eret turned around, snapping to attention. "Yes sir?"

"I need you to get outside and try and get that battle under some semblance of control." He said. "You know how to command a line, yes? I'm assuming Herobrine passed on some sort of military advice."

Eret nodded. "My own men are down in the fray as well - even if Etienne's soldiers aren't immediate to respond, mine own will be."

"Good." Phil continued. "There'll be no driving them back outside the walls now, but do your best to corral them into a smaller area if you can. The less people that get hurt in this, the better."

"Absolutely right." Eret said. He hovered near the windows for another moment, looking down into the chaos. "I'll be off then - it was lovely meeting you, Philza, and you as well Y/N." With that he was planting one hand on the floor and pushing off, propelling himself out of the window and into the battle - drawing his sword as he fell.

Your heart leapt into your throat and you went to go to the windows and see if he was alright, but Phil grabbed your arm, pulling you away from the edge. "He'll be fine." He said, as if reading your mind. "You and I have other things to worry about - namely finding a paper and a quill for me and a safe hiding spot for you and that Totem."

Phil released your arm to stride across the room, heading towards the scribes desks that sat at the end of the court hall. You followed along, not quite sure what he would need paper for in the middle of a battle, but too nervous to leave his side anyway. The walls still rained down sheets of rubble every time they rattled, and by the sounds of it, there was fighting in the hallway outside the throne room now - no doubt people trying to get to the king.

Little did they know, he was long gone - and the other king had jumped out the window.

Phil ripped open the nearest scribe desk, rifling through it's contents in search of a fresh sheet of parchment. "Check the other ones for quills and ink." He directed, gesturing down the line.

You nodded, opening the next desk down and pulling out the ink bottle, shaking them to see if any of them weren't dried out - no luck. You moved onto the next desk, doing the same. Down the line you went, until you finally found a bottle that wasn't on it's last legs. Picking it up, you held it up. "Phil!"

"Toss it here." He said, holding out a hand.

You tossed the bottle and he caught it easily, popping the cap open and dipping the quill he had found into it. He wrote with furious intensity - scrawling words across the paper fast enough that you couldn't make out what he was writing. Hopefully whoever was going to have to read this would be able to make it out.

Phil finished his letter and folded the paper, not bothering to seal it as he headed back to the window. Outside the throne room, the fighting that you had heard in the hallway had gotten louder - enough that you could make out individual voices now. Whoever was out there was getting closer.

Standing at the windows edge, Phil let out a sharp whistle and extended a hand - the same as you had seen him do back at the cottage in the spruce forest. Even through the battle below, only a moment later a crow came swooping down, perching on Phil's hand so that it could take the letter in one little claw.

"To Techno." Phil said, tossing the bird to the sky. It cawed once before flying up and out of sight again, presumably to go fetch Technoblade. Once the bird was safely off, Phil stepped back from the windows turning to you. "Alright, we need to find somewhere for you to hide while I go after that bastard Etienne-"

"I don't know if that's the best idea Phil." You said. "What if someone finds me? I won't be able to fight them off, and then they'll get the Totem-"

"Not if we hide you well enough." Phil said, that determined glint coming back to his eye. "I don't want you getting hurt-"

"I won't be hurt if we stick together." You said. "And then the Totem-"

"This isn't about the Totem, Y/N." Phil said. "I couldn't stand to lose-"

He was cut off when a loud shriek echoed into the room from the hallway. You both glanced to the still ajar door, and panic filled your heart. Whoever it was was right outside - and there was only one way in and out of the throne room.

"Unless you want me to hide in here, there's nowhere to go." You said. "Phil-"

Phil sighed, eyes still locked on the door. "Fine." He said. "But you're sticking right by me, you hear?"

"Of course." You said, easily, because if this whole adventure had taught you anything, it was that you could trust Phil.

And judging by the weight of the Totem still in your pocket, he trusted you.

Sweeping a wing out and around you, Phil herded you towards the back of the room, away from the door and behind the throne - the same way the king had gone. It was only behind the throne that you spotted it - a stone button on the wall. Phil pressed it, and the panel slid away.

Ducking into the darkness, you disappeared, leaving the throne room completely empty.