Chapter 15

TW:

Tommy POV:

"Promise?" Wil asked quietly, looking me in the eyes with a sad expression.

"I won't do it again," I say with a sigh, annoyed. Apparently, I fell asleep halfway through the movie and they saw the bandages. I had dreamed that I went back to my room and fell asleep, but when I 'fell asleep' it was just my room from a different perspective. Weird dream, but whatever.

"Good, now it's time for breakfast. Let's go!" I nodded, following behind him. I didn't tell him the real reason I said I'd stop, but he didn't need to know that I couldn't find my blades.

"CHILD! WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR FOOD?" Techno called out from the kitchen where he was helping Sap and Dream prepare food.

"BACON!" I yelled back, causing everyone to crack up while he shot me an offended look. I laughed with them but my heart still wasn't in it. I hated how every time I faked a smile or a laugh my reality became clearer. It hurt, a lot. But I'm Tommyinnit! I'm not some kid who's going to bring everyone down all the time, I'm supposed to make people laugh! So I do.

Even if I'm not laughing with my heart, others are and that is what matters.

Right?

Wilbur POV:

No. Still not there. I said that I wasn't leaving Tommy until the light in his eyes was back in its goddamn place and all I've done is make it worse! Ok, that's not true, I just need to breathe and focus. It hurts so much to look at a smile I can tell is fake, hear a laugh I know is forced, and watch a boy who used to laugh with every word force himself to seem happy for others.

"Tech? Can I speak with you?" I say after we finish eating. I noticed Tommy didn't eat a ton, which is worrying. Normally I would chalk it up to him not being hungry but with all the fucked up shit happening in his life right now, I have to pay closer attention to things like that.

"Wilbur?" Techno said with a raised eye as we neared my room. I wanted to discuss shit but Tommy was in his room across the hall so I motioned for him to keep it down.

"Tommy is not ok Tech!" I start, exasperated. "His smiles are fake, his laughs are forced, the light in his eyes is gone, and he can't walk!" I whisper shout. "He self-harms, his dad's in jail, his mum's low on money, and he has several medications for anxiety and panic attacks! This is too fucked up for anyone, let alone a seventeen-year-old!" He nods, his eyes slightly glassy.

"We can only help him by showing him we're here for him, the rest he must fight on his own. We can support him and encourage him, but past that this is his battle, not ours."

His battle, not ours.

But he's fucking seventeen!

His battle.

I take a few deep breaths to calm down when I look up to see a glass slipping from Connor's hand. Everything seems in slow motion as the glass falls, me and Dream making eye contact with horrified expressions as we watch it fall. As the glass hit the ground and shattered, me and Dream had only one thought while the gun-like sound shook the house.

Tommy.