There was a knock on the door and he stiffened pressing himself firmly into the corner.

"Room Service!"

Ella cursed bitterly under her breath, "Iggy, I'll be right back, I promise, just don't move, and stay quiet OK?" She scrambled to her feet and jerked a blanket off the bed, throwing it over the table, shielding Iggy from view.

She smoothed the front of her nightgown and walked to the door, quietly pulling the bathroom door shut before looking out the spy hole. It was an older woman with her hair twisted into a tight bun on her head.

Ella put on a brave smile and opened the door, "Hi, thank you so much," She stepped out of the way and let the woman wheel in the little trolley. "He's in the bathroom right now, but I'm sure he appreciates it … I don't want to be a nuisance, but you wouldn't happen to have a first aid-kit around would you? I was supposed to change his bandages earlier but I ran out of gauze."

"I can have someone at the front desk send some up for you," The woman said smiling politely.

"You could? That would be awesome, thanks … The doctor gave me some after his surgery but we weren't expecting our flight to be canceled…"

The woman nodded, "Yes, lots of flights have been canceled lately … Can I bring you anything else, Ma'am?"

Ella shook her head, "No, but thank you so much."

The woman smiled politely, "You're welcome, I'll ask someone at the front desk to send up some gauze for you. Have a nice day Ma'am."

Ella collapsed against the door her hand on her forehead. She'd never told such a big lie in all her life. Surgery? How were they going to pull it off? If one of the hotel people got a look at Iggy's face they'd know he hadn't had surgery, he'd clawed himself … And possibly had a complete mental breakdown…

She crept forward pausing just outside the little tent she'd made by throwing the blanket over the table, "Iggy, I'm back, I'm coming in, OK?" She knelt down and pulled back the blanket peering in before she joined him.

His wing was still lying limply beside him but he seemed calmer, his hands clasped tightly between his knees his head leaned against the wall, ear cocked in her direction.

"Iggy?"

He didn't move as she crawled to his side, placing a tentative hand on his shoulder. He didn't jerk but simply sat there.

She bit her lip … He was gone … Iggy was gone-

"I'm sorry…" His mouth moved but barely a sound came out.

She moved closer positioning herself so she could look into his face and not have to crane her neck.

He took a shuddering breath and continued; "I'm sorry I freaked out."

She laid a hand on his arm, staring at the little bruised puncture in the bend of his left.

"I'm just scared, Ella, and I …I-"

He choked on a sob and she rocked forward wrapping her arms around him but trying not to crush his wing at the same time.

"You don't have to explain anything…"

He lifted his wing, wrapping it around her and pulling her closer. "Who had surgery?"

Ella smiled, "That was the lie I told the woman who brought the soup … That way me needing some gauze to patch up your face would be explained and no one would be suspicious. So, if anyone asks, you had your appendix taken out while you were away at college and me, being your faithful girlfriend, I came to get you and take you home to recover."