Chapter 1

Home

When I woke up after my first night at Hogwarts I was already beginning to dread the day ahead of me.

I'd probably end up getting a letter from my parents in a couple of hours, actually, I wouldn't doubt it. They were about to be incredibly embarrassed by me. A disappointment.

So, just like I would at home, I got up and prepared for my horrid day ahead.

I wandered around the dorm getting all my stuff out of my suitcase to unpack my things. The things I would need for weekends and events.

After that, I got dressed in my uniform to head down to breakfast. I was pretty alone for the moment being. The girls that I shared a dorm with were either not there or still sleeping.

Once I made it to the great hall there were already a lot of students eating all kinds of food. Waffles, eggs, soups, pancakes, omelets you name it.

I was in heaven, I fast walked to the table where I saw Remus a boy I met yesterday. He waved at me and gestured for me to sit with him, so reluctantly I did.

"Good morning," he smiled handing me a plate.

"Morning, thank you."

Not another word was said as I shoved as much food on my plate as I could fit without it overflowing.

They had many different kinds of syrups for the food. And whipped cream and strawberries!

I was about to be on cloud nine. I shoved the first bite of food in my mouth.

"Is it good?" Remus chuckled.

"Mhm," I mumbled in my heaven of food.

"I bet."

My smile faded and my cloud nine was gone as I saw my family's owl heading towards me at a fast pace with a letter.

I smashed my fork into my waffle grabbed the letter and stormed out of the great hall to read the letter of disappointment from my family.

I found myself at this tower. I don't know what it is but it was quite peaceful, so I sat down and began to read.

I ripped open the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper with long paragraphs of cursive handwriting that said,

Arabella,

        As you probably know it's already come back to me that you have been placed in Gryffindor! Gryffindor. I cannot believe this. I don't know what is going on in that head of yours but I hope you are disappointed in yourself, just as I am. Because I am utterly disappointed, dissatisfied, and angry. The words can go on. You are in a house with loads of half-bloods, blood traitors, mudbloods even!!! I can't express my disappointment in you. I raised you for 11 years for you to become my biggest disappointment. I hope you feel SO good about yourself because when you come home, It won't be all happiness like it will with your brother. At least he made us proud.

Be better, make Slytherin friends,

Your Parents

I was all out of sorts reading that letter. I expected something bad but not this bad. My parents were mean sure but they were nice at times to me. They loved me. But now I'm not sure they even loved me. They've never laid a hand on me or called me a disappointment for that matter.

I tried to keep in my sadness but I let out my biggest sob. The first day of school, and it's already going amazing. Hint my sarcasm.

I forgot to even grab my timetable! Breakfast is almost over, I was supposed to grab it before breakfast ended.

So I got up and wiped my nose and tears. My eyes were most likely red and swollen but I had to get there, I can't miss my first class not knowing where to go, and become even more of a disappointment.

I opened the great doors and ran to a professor.

"Well hello, you're finally here I was beginning to think you didn't want to get your timetable." Professor McGonagall said handing me mine.

"Thank you, professor," I said smiling beginning to walk away.

"Miss Avery." She spoke again making me turn around.

"I have open hours after classes, so I'll be in my office. If you need anything."

I didn't know what that meant but I smile and nodded all the same. Turning around I made myself to the table where the girls finally were.

"Arabella!" Marlene cheered, "I was wondering where you were!"

*time skip*

I've been here a couple of months, since the first day my parents haven't sent me a letter. It was almost November and I was getting worried that I wouldn't be able to come back home. As much as I was afraid to see them, I missed them.

It was the 25th of October, a Tuesday to be precise. I was on my way to my first class potions with Professor Slughorn. It was a class mix of Slytherins and Gryffindors. Lucky me I got sat next to Evan Rosier, A Slytherin that I had befriended over the past couple of weeks.

"Do you mind sharing your notebook with me? I can't find mine anywhere." Evan asked politely.

"Of course," I smiled and slid the notebook in between us.

Evan was relatively nice. Much nicer than other Slytherins. So I considered it a win-win situation. I would do what my mother wants and make good friends.

The days at Hogwarts seemed to go by very fast. I believe it might've been because I enjoyed it here. I loved the different houses and the gorgeous autumn that Scotland brought.

Today was one of those (surprisingly) no-homework-after-school days. So I decided to ask James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter if they'd be up for an adventure around Hogwarts.

They all said yes of course. So, after classes were over and we all made sure (well.. just Remus) that we had no homework. We met in the Gryffindor common room deciding where to explore first.

"It's nice to see you guys again," I confessed. I had not really hung out with them as much as I hoped to. At the beginning of the year, I knew that they were the ones I wanted to be friends with.

"You too," Remus looked up at me and smiled. They all shook their heads in agreement with what Remus said.

"So, I say we start with the Tower." I blurted.

"What tower?" James questioned, "We have like," he started to count his fingers but gave up in the middle of it, "7? towers?"

"The Astronomy tower of course," Sirius chimed in making me smile. That's exactly where I wanted to go!

That day I really got to know the boys. I learned that James had grown fond of Lily. Remus absolutely loved chocolate but would despise you if you ever  handed him white chocolate. I learned the hard way... don't ask.

Sirius adores the astronomy tower, like me. He likes to go there to get some peace. I saw myself relating to him a lot more than expected. You know I didn't quite like being around him in the beginning, he was just so... annoying!

And finally, Peter he was usually quiet but sometimes he would chime in and make the sweetest comments. And most of all he was like the referee trying to get James and Sirius to stop fighting about whose hair is better.

This place was starting to feel more like home than my home.

A/n: HI!!! thank you so much for reading! So I have been rewriting (as you know) but i'm thinking about publishing chapters i've already written with little grammar mistake checks. So like my next chapter should be put sooner. :)

thanks for being here.  <3