06. (Part 1) Welcome To Reality....

Start from the beginning

I resumed my trek up the staircase, making my way down the hall to the bathroom. My eyes scanned the hall of pictures on the wall, I stood motionless, trying to remember....something, anything.

The hallway walls was decorated in different shades of gray, the only color was the rows of pictures that framed the wall. As I looked around at the pictures, my eyes landed on one particular one. It was the largest out of them all, and my heart skipped a few beats as I gazed up at it. It was the only black and white picture. In the photo, the scenery looked as if it were a park. The season had to be autumn, because the leaves that were scattered across the ground and on the trees were a mixture of orange, yellow, and brown colors. Chris was leaning his back up against a tree, wearing a worn pair of jeans, and a white button up shirt with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I was positioned with my back up against his chest, my hands resting comfortably over his, wich were linked together resting on my stomach. My head was thrownback in one of those laughs that showed just how happy I was with no care in the world. Chris was smiling down at me with a look of pure content and love. Hercules was sitting, the only one looking strait at the camra, his ears perked up, and head tilted sideways. The picture looked as if it was recently taken and completely off our guard. But we looked happy and.....in love.

I tried to swallow the lump that had caught and formed in my throat, while trying to process what exactly I was looking at. There was no recollection of this memory, and nothing of my life came to mind as I gazed at the picture.

Even though the picture was proof that I was indeed gay, Chris was definitely my husband, and we were very much in love. But, as I stared at the picture it felt as if I was looking at someone else's life, and I was just photo-shopped into place, where some other man should be.

I shook my head and continued walking the few steps down the hall it took for me to enter the bathroom, where I conveniently slammed the door. It felt good to close the door, if only for a small moment, to block out the life I couldn't remember.

I turned the knob for the hot water and started filling the partially full tub to warm the already cold water. I couldn't wait to have a real bath. The hospital's so-called baths still left me feeling grimmy and dirty. I stripped out of my clothes, being extra careful of my wounds. I gently placed plastic wrap around my torso to cover the already wrapped guaze. I lowered myself into the tub of warm water, sighing deeply in relief.

I dunked my head under the water for a second, to get my hair nice and wet before I resurfaced. My hair was falling in my face so I brushed it back so I could see properly, and leaned back against the tub. Picking up a bottle of shampoo, opening it, I sniffed it lightly. It smelled pretty nice, so I poured a generous amount onto the palm of my hand, massaging it into my hair, dunking back under the water before resurfacing.

For some odd reason I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was married, and to a man at that. A good looking man, but a man non-the-less. And, I wasn't gay. Even though the photos on the wall clearly are of me and Chris together, and in love. I still couldn't understand how.

I picked up a bottle of body wash and sniffed that too, it smelt of lavender. It seemed I had a thing for flowers. Mabe I was gay? I rubbed it into my skin, starting with my neck and back down to my feet.

And, I couldn't understand how Chris could be so understanding with all that has happened, and still be so patient with me. To have him care so much about me, when I couldn't even remember him or the moments we've shared together. He stuck by me all through my hospital stay, even when he found out I had lost my memory and couldn't remember him. He said the sweetest and most reassuring things, when it seemed I was at my breaking points. He keeps hope, even though I may never get my memory back. But soon enough, he's going to loose it.