03 || three

❝ The common mortal might be scared to kill but for me, it sends a wave of thrill down every inch of my body. ❞

three || ❛ secrets and pain ❜

Devika

I. AM. SO. EXCITED! This is my first night at Anika's place.

Scratch that. This is my first night at a friend's place making it, in a way, a sleepover.

My first real sleepover!

I turn, throwing the heavy blanket off to a side. The ticking clock and whistling wind play around in the room as I lie still, just breathing. A knot twists in my stomach, a jittery feeling knocking it out.

This is so calming. Closing my eyes, I rest my hands on my stomach and focus on my surroundings. The sounds. The scents.

Tic, in. Toc, out.

I breathe in the silence and cold breeze. It feels so refreshing. The heat of happiness warms my heart, making me forget about my illusionary fears.

With each breath, my body sinks into the mattress, feeling lighter and lighter with every passing second. My mind discards all thoughts and I begin to feel numb. In a rather pleasant way.

Is this what people call a state of bliss?

The silence stays, the clock ticks, and my heart beats.

Tic, in. Toc, out. I repeat, silence ringing in my ears. A numb tingle spreads through my body, starting from my fingers and slithers down to my toes.

Peace fills me, driving away the fears I had a few moments back. I feel so happy.

-ng!

I sit up on the bed, feeling weak and detached, my strength lagging behind.

Bang!

Startled, I slightly jump on the bed. What is wrong with that man? Why is he being so noisy?

Thud!

Groaning, I step down from the bed and shuffle my way to the door. Unlocking it swiftly, I stand in front of the door to his room, the key wrapped in my palm.

The lock moves slightly, reeling in the after effects of the shock. Kneeling, I hold it in my hand, fumbling with the key in the dark.

The key had barely slid in when he roared in laughter. A laugh so frightening that it made me freeze and drop the lock.

"Open up! Open up!" He cackles. "I'm going to kill you tonight."

"Open up! Open up!" He repeats, his wild laughter echoing throughout the house. "This is going to be your last night."

Bang!

The chains rattle and the lock hits against the wood of the door. I fall back. A hard lump forms in my throat, and my palms get sweaty threatening to drop the key.