01 || one

❝ Your monsters are real. Including the ones under your bed and inside the closet. ❞

one || ❛ the devil ❜

Devika

TRUST.

It was all I had; to offer, to build, only to have it destroyed in the most brutal ways possible. Every time I placed it out for someone it would come back in shards too painful to touch. Maybe that is why, when he did the same, it didn't hurt much.

The numb feeling of shock, the constricted pang of pain in the heart and the suffocating lump in the throat. They never came to me.

It was just a simple tumble to my knees, some prickly hot tears and the gut-wrenching urge to throw up. That's it!

All I did was trust him. Probably love him. I'm not sure anymore. If he was the one who refused to keep it safe why must I suffer?

Why? Why? WHY?!

The stinging tears make their way up, again, blurring my vision.

No! Not now. I refuse to cry.

Wiping away my tears, I take a deep breath. My arms tremble, my throat and ears feeling warm.

It's over!

Everything is over. You were the fool, Devika. There is no point in crying now.

I pull out my diary staring at the words I had written days ago: love, promise, marriage, happiness.

How did I expect my happiness to come from someone else? How did I forget that people around me have always broken my trust?

Sighing deeply, I throw the diary back into my bag. My vision blurs, again, and I look up at the ceiling, biting my lips to keep the sobs in.

Wrapping my palms around the cup filled with black tea I take a large sip and burn my tongue.

Don't cry! Don't cry! Don't cry!

I look up, away from the ceiling and towards the sky. For a few moments, I had forgotten to blink. I had forgotten that it was the sky which was dark and not my eyes that were closed.

As far as my eyes could see, it was a curtain of unbroken grey; grey clouds piled over each other covering the vast blue sky, hiding every bit of happiness it held in the eyes of the spectators.