Chapter 21

When I was a kid, I was told that my mom passed away when she gave birth to me. I waa stunned, but there were no tears. I just felt empty, like I'm missing something in my life, and I wasn't sure what it is.

I watched other kids in the neighborhood as they played with each other. Nobody bothered with me, I was like a being with no colors, and thus, I didn't attract anyone.

"Dad, can you tell me...what kind of a person mom was?"

That night, I swallowed my fear of my dad and asked him about my mom. I saw him clutching onto a picture of mom, she had the same hair color as me.

"(Sniffles) Go away, I don't want to talk right now."

"But....but I want know."

"Didn't you hear me? Go away!"

I flinched. "Okay..."

One day when I got home, I saw my dad, lifeless-ly, lying on the ground, hugging the picture of mom in his chest. I tried again, to ask my dad about mom.

"Dad, what kind of a person was mom like? Was she kind? Brave?"

To my surprise, he spoke.

"I've been thinking, thinking about her. Why did...she have to die..? Did I do something wrong?  No, I've never lied or hurt her. The one thing that took a wrong turn was her giving birth to you! (Dad got up and pointed at me, his face was scary, but his eyes were full of tears.) It was you! You killed her! Why...? Why did you...why..? (Sobs) I loved her with all my heart, and yet, you broke us apart. All I want to know is why? Why?! Why can't you tell me? Why? Why?!"

My dad has mental problems. His mental conditions has gone worse as the day passes by.

"...I...I didn't do anything...."

"Yes, YOU did!!"

That's it, he has lost control of himself and gone insane. He grabbed his worn out belt and started hitting me with it.

Months later.....

"Dad, Happy Birthday."

I've now turned 7 years old. Today was my dad's birthday, and I've prepared something for him. Although I'm frightened of him, it's only when his mental state took him over. But regardless, I still loved him. Afterall, we're family.

My dad stared me in the eye.

"Come here," Dad said in his weak voice.

I came over, and he hugged me.

"Sorry," he said.

My dad was crying. I hugged him back.

"Dad, aren't you going to open up the box?"

"I'm opening it now,"Dad said through sobs.