twenty five: the vents

Start from the beginning

"I'll go with him." Winston stood next to the boy as he assured us it'll be okay. "Okay, Winston, go." Thomas said as we saw them off and darted back down the corridor.

"You sure we can trust this kid?" Frypan asked as we ran past the walls, painting slightly at the lack of breath. "You don't want to know where we'd be without him." He responded quickly as we turned a sudden corner.

We all immediately came to a sudden stop as one of the previous doctors was suddenly presented before us. My eyes widened at the surprise as I swallowed down the panic.

"What are you kids doing out?" Due to quick thinking, Thomas grabbed her by the shoulders and began to shove her down the corridor. All five of us followed them quickly as I thought that maybe this wasn't the best time to take a hostage.

We continued down the halls as we turned to see a man holding a gun. "Freeze!" He yelled down to us as he began to shoot. They were not regular bullets, as they made sounds that spat and hissed.

"Why are they shooting at us?" We retreated back around the corner, making it impossible for the bullets to reach us as Minho took off running.

"Minho! What the hell are you doing?" The boy yelled as he picked up the pace and landed right on the man, causing him to fall back against the wall, landing him unconscious.

We ran after the boy, watching the man's body fall to the ground. "Shit, Minho." Newt said with an exasperated grin. "That was bloody awesome." I said as I looked down at the man who was beginning to bleed dramatically.

"Okay, let's go." Thomas began sprinting again as we reached another door. This time the room was filled with multiple scientists instead of armed guards. The boy flew through the door, holding the gun the previous man had. "Where is she? Where is she!" He yelled as the people cowered, one of them pointing in the direction of a curtain.

Thomas adverted his gaze to the other side of the room as he handed Minho the weapon. The boy rushed over, pulling the curtain aside to reveal a sleeping Teresa. Tubes filled her nose and veins as she looked pale and weak. Perhaps her treatment was not the same as mine.

The boy dropped to her side as he began to shake her awake, examining her face for any wounds. I watched as Minho held the Doctors at gun point as Newt and I began to tie them up. "Okay, hands, give me your hands!"

"You're never going to get away with this." They all looked frightened as they tried to conceal the fact that they had no control over the situation. My head shot up as I heard loud footstep descend from the corridor. Shit, Janson.

"Frypan, move!" Newt yelled as he flipped a table on its side, forcing it against the door to barricade it closed. I could hear the men scramble behind the door, getting frustrated that they couldn't get in. "We have to get out of here!" Panic started to set in again as we realised we had no other place to go, as Thomas grabbed a stool from the corner.

He began to throw it against the glass that filled the opposite wall, but after failing, asked for Newt's assistance. Together, they were able to smash their way out as Thomas jumped through. He helped Teresa over the shards as Newt put his hand in mine to pull me over the wall.

The guards were desperately trying to break down the door as we all made our way over to a different room, leading to a large metal door. "Stay behind me!" Thomas bellowed to us as we stayed close behind. He flung the door open as we stopped immediately in our tracks to find a man towering over us. He fumbled for his gun, but unluckily for him, he didn't make it in time as the boy shot him in the chest, causing him to convulse on the floor.

Everyone froze in their spots, as they watched the man's face contort in pain. We were suddenly snapped out of it as Thomas broke the silence "Shit. Come on." As he began running down the corridor again. Hesitantly, we all started to follow as we approached the large doors we came through.

Thomas ran to the keypad as he slid the key card through the slot. It didn't work.

Panic flooded in his eyes as he kept trying, every time without success.

"Thomas!" My heart sank as I recognised the voice. We were trapped, with no way out while Janson and his army stood, holding us at gun point.

The boy turned quickly on his heel as he held the gun up at them, throwing the key at the group for us to try.

"Open this door, Janson!" Thomas walked closer to the men slowly, as they raised their guns at the boy. Janson held his arms up in defense, but somehow still managed to maintain his unbearable smirk. He knew he had us beat.

"You really don't want me to." He said as he moved closer. "Open the damn door!" The boy repeated as his frustration grew.

We watched as Minho struggled to unlock the door, the keypad refusing access every single time. "Listen to me! I'm trying to save your life. The maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last a day out in the Scorch." I turned to face the man as he catches a glimpse of me. Surprise washed over him for a second before he composes himself with a large grin. "Just ask your friend, here." He pointed his arm towards me as Thomas turned his head back to look at me.

I narrowed my eyes at the man, confused about what he meant. "That was a bit harsh, don't you think, y/n?" The man smirked at me as I watched the other's grow even more confused. "I mean, I thought you two would get along, my mistake." I glared at Janson as finally, he removed his gaze from mine to look back at the boy.

"Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you." The boy scoffed in response as I watched him turn back to the man.

"Yeah, let me guess. Wicked is good?" The man's faced dropped as anger flooded through his features. "You're not getting through that door."

Just as the words had left his mouth, a loud noise came from the entrance as it opened up from the bottom. We watched in awe as we were met with the presence of the new kid and Winston. I guess it was important, after all.

"Hey, guys." Everyone immediately leaped into action as we ran to the other side of the door and turned back to watch the boy. "Thomas, come on! Let's go!"

The boy reached for his gun as he began to shoot aimlessly, before running out of bullets and tossing the weapon forward at the soldiers. Janson and his army pelted after the boy as he ran down the corridor.

"Shut the main vault door!" Janson alerted his colleagues as they reacted quickly to close the exit. It was closing rapidly as we all yelled at the boy to run faster.

With centimetres to spare, the boy slid under the door, as it clasped tightly shut behind him. We scrambled to the floor to help Thomas up as we all stood to see Janson angrily watch us on the other side.

"You little shit." He mouthed, as Thomas just raised his middle finger.