Chapter 2

"You're late" My instructor states as I enter the house

I show her the flowers, "I was being held up"

"Where'd you get those"

"This boy asked me to be his date to the banquet"

"How nice of him, and you said yes?"

"Clearly"

"You don't sound so happy about it"

The instructor is the type of woman who just loves to prod her nose in anyone's business, especially mine. I know she doesn't do it just for her benefit but to report everything back to Akito. Sometimes I would forget this, I talk to her as if she was actually interested in my life, then later on I would catch her talking in hushed tones with Akito. This was most likely the reason she was invited to the banquet, someone like her wouldn't even be noticed by us.

"Can we start the lesson, I'm quite tired"

"Alright"

The rest of the day was unbearably long. I was almost about to walk out the room when she told me to have a good weekend. I started to retreat to my room to get ready for dinner when I heard multiple voices coming from the Akito's room. One of them clearly being Akito but while the other was familiar I couldn't place it. Wanting to know who it is, I lean my head against the door as Akito starts to get louder. I continue to listen for a couple more seconds before I decide to leave it. Whoever it was, Akito sounded displeased with them. I lean my head away and start to walk off when the door opens. I quickly turn back to see a gray haired boy standing in the front of me

"Yuki" I say to him

I'm not surprised when he looks startled. I've never uttered more than a word to most of the male zodiacs, Akito always made sure I didn't. They were hers, she would tell me, they would always be hers.

His face softens, "Hello Kaida"

I go to say something when Akito appears at his side, "What are you doing outside my room? Were you just listening to our conversation?"

She steps toward me and grabs my arm, squeezing it and digging in her nails tightly with her frail hand

"No, I was just walking by when the door opened" I try to keep my voice calm

She squeezes my arm tighter, "Why are you lying to me"

Akito may seem frail and weak to anyone who sees her but the pain she's inflicting on my arm says otherwise

"I'm not Akito, you know I wouldn't lie to you"

Lie.

"Akito, how about we take that walk now"

Yuki puts his hand on her shoulder and she immediately softens at his touch. She lets go of my arm just as blood was beginning to draw. Wrapping his arm with hers, he leads her away from me without another glance in my direction. I grab my arm and head straight toward my room, not wanting to have anymore surprise encounter.

I decide to have dinner in my room when someone knocks on the door. I jump at the sound, expecting Akito but then I remember she wouldn't bother knocking.

"Come in"

The door opens and in the doorway stands an auburn haired man in a neatly tailored suit

"Hi Kureno"

His eyes fall on my bruised arm "What happened Kaida"

"Akito caught me listening outside her door"

He walks toward me and gently places his hand on my arm, "Hatori should have a look at his"

I shake his hand off, "I'm fine Kureno, you shouldn't be in here. Akito could be back any second"

"She actually told me to come get you. Dinner's ready"

"I'm not hungry"

"Yeah you are, come on"

He grabs my arm and tries to get me to stand but I yank it back

"I don't want to Kureno. I can't"

I try to wrap my arms around myself but pressure stings my arm

Kureno sits down beside me and it seems as if he's about to give me a hug when he stops himself. Instead,  he places his hand on my back. I try not to cringe from the contact, both of us aren't used to it.

"I know. But it'll be worse for you if you refuse. You know she doesn't mean it"

I don't. I don't know that she doesn't. And I don't know how to get her to see how much pain she puts me in. I just have to live with the fact that I'll never be able make her see because she's not my sister, she's my God.

Wrong

"Okay"

He stands up and offers his hand. I stare at it for a couple of seconds before I take it. He gives my hand a squeeze before we walk out the door. I hadn't realized before now but Kureno is my only friend. No, he's more of a friend, he's like a brother to me. Most of the time he's with Akito but the few moments she lets him go, he tries to spend time with me. I've also come to realize that I have never seen him leave the house. I at least have some time away from here but he doesn't.

I look at his back, "Kureno, do you want to go get some coffee tomorrow?"

I feel his hand go stiff, "I'm not sure I would have the time" he says softly

"Alright, I'll just have to bring you some"

I can't see his face from here but I imagine a small smile play across his lips.

I'll help you get away from here Kureno. I promise.