Chapter 26

As the early hours of Christmas morning descended upon them, Henry felt consciousness gradually creep over his tired eyes. He wanted nothing more than to stay in bed with Thomas, to stay safe and warm under the covers and sheathed from the world, from the cold, from the unyielding winter. But instead he chose to be pragmatic; slipping out of bed and slipping on his clothes from the night before as he turned towards the handsome blond in bed. He looked so at peace whilst sleeping; his dark blond hair messily strewn over his perfectly chiselled face. A smile crept over Henry's lips as he leant down and placed a soft, chaste kiss on Thomas' cheek.

"Happy Christmas, my love..." Whispered Henry, hoping the fair haired man wouldn't hear; for the reality of the matter was that Henry wasn't ready for him to hear. And with that Henry disappeared off into the corridor, creeping into his own cold bed to fall asleep alone with merely his bedcovers to warm him. Given how absolutely knackered he was, it only made sense that the wretched Henry should fall asleep nearly immediately, only to wake when he heard a little but furious knock coming from a little fist furiously.

"HENWY WAKE UP IT'S CHWISTMAS." Henry heard little Danny's voice coming from across the oaken door; the half asleep man rolling over with a groan, chuckling to himself at how utterly adorable it was. He practically dragged himself out of bed and slipped on his dressing gown; creeping over towards the door and running his fists over his tired eyes as he slipped his house slippers on his feet and creaked open the door.

"Happy Christmas, love." Henry knelt down and scooped Danny into his arms; smiling as the wee blond lad planted a kiss on his alabaster cheek with the lightest bit of dark morning stubble.

"Mewwy Chwistmas, Henwy!" Danny flashed Henry a wide grin whilst the dark haired Doctor kissed him lovingly on his cheek.

"Where's your Daddy?" Henry asked curiously.

"Daddy's making breakfast." Danny's soft blond hair bouncing as he spoke animatedly.

"Christmas breakfast! How exciting!" Gasped Henry with playful theatrics that he always found Danny to absolutely adored. "How about you and I go downstairs and see if we can help your Daddy with breakfast, sound like a good idea?" He asked sweetly, poking Danny's adorably pinch-able cheeks with his finger; watching as the little blond toddler nodded with enthusiasm. "Alright then! Come on, you!"

Henry carried Danny down the corridor and descended down the stairwell; the light aroma of a hot breakfast wafting faintly from the general direction of the kitchen. He could smell eggs, sausage, bacon, and pancakes with maple syrup; a hearty breakfast by the smell of it. As they turned the corner into the kitchen, there he was in all his glory, Thomas, standing coolly at the oven in his dressing gown with an apron over top. There was something almost tantalising about seeing Thomas' back working hard at the oven though Henry didn't know why; lately he felt as though everything Thomas did was unnaturally alluring to him.

"Oh! There you are! I was wondering when you two sleepy heads would wake up." Beamed Thomas, flashing those dimples that made Henry weak in the knees; he had an attractive amount of stubble and a bit of a gruff morning voice that drove Henry mad. "Danny, bud, go look in the living room, Santa was here!"

"Santa!" Danny wriggled within Henry's grasp, prompting the man to set him down onto the hardwood floor with a smile creeping across his amused face.

"But just look, kiddo! We'll open presents after breakfast, okay?" Thomas called out as Danny disappeared off towards the drawing room. Thomas smiled and shook his head in amusement as he ensured the wee lad was clear out of the room before marching straight up to Henry with a cheeky smile. He snaked his arm around Henry's waist and pulled him in; smirking as he watched a tinge of rouge permeate across the raven haired boy's alabaster cheeks. "Merry Christmas, Doctor." Thomas said softly, leaning in to land a gentle kiss on Henry's lightly parted lips.