chapter one

I have been homeschooled my whole life. My life revolved around my church and my school. Finally my mother said I needed to go to public school. It was one night at dinner she said this. It was the end of May. I was done with my schooling for my eleventh year of school-thats not counting preschool or whatever you call that first year of school. I was eating tomato soup. When she announced that I was going to public school I spraied soup all over the table and the rest in my mouth choked its way down my throute. My father said I needed it to get into a good Collage. My mother said she couldn't teach me anymore, that she had to start a new job and she wouldn't have time to home school me anymore. I had no choice. I pleeded with them but was silenced when my father yelled at me.

So thats why I'm standing in front of this really large building that was labeled "Winstile High. I looked at the old building and felt scared.

Where all those movies right?

Did principals really hate students?

Where their really groups of friends that picked on the unpopular kids?

I shook my head and took a deep breath. This was a new begining. Another place to find myself. I was tired. I woke up at 5:30 just to get ready. I hoped I was dressed appropriate for school. I looked down at my jeans and white blouse.

"Here goes nothing." I said as I pushed open the door to the school. And I looked at all the people and I felt myself panic. I went to a small church with a lot of older people. I wasn't use to a lot of young teens walking around me. I saw girls in flowery patterned shirts that didn't cover all of their body and shortd that cut so low the pockets were sticking out from the bottom. Most of the girls had blond hair. I had plain brown hair. I had a shirt tucked into long dark denem jeans. There were boys too. Some short others tall. Most of the boys had pants that sagged about three or four inches lower then their waists. Some of the boys had t-shirts that when they lifted their arms their shirts came up so you could see their tan stomaches.

I was standing in the door way taking all of this in when a bell rang. People rushed around me and I felt like I should go somewhere. I quickly took a peice of paper from out of my pocket and unfolded it while I walked. The paper had a map on it. I unfolded it and looked at it. I wasn't watching where I was going, because when I finally looked up a tall boy with a black leather jacket ran right into me. I didn't cetch my balance soon enough and was falling backwards, but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back up.

"Hey, watch were your going." As soon as I was steady he walked around me and I was left there. I shook my head and muffled a thank you as I looked back at the map. I looked up and bit my lip. I was lost.

"Excuse me, can you help me, please?" I slightly touched a girls arm as she passed. She was shorter then me and she had red hair. She stopped and looked me up and down.

"What do you need?" I pulled a strand of hair back and tucked it behind my ear.

"yeah, wheres the main office?" she sighed and turned around.

"You go down this hall and take a left. down that hall you'll find the office. Hurry class is going to start in three minutes." I smiled.

"Thank you so much." She just rolled her eyes.

"Don't mention it." and she rushed past me. Okay down this hall and take a left. Okay I can do this. All I have to do is not freek out. I walked down the hall and turned left at the first hall. Thankfully there was a red sign that said 'main office' in black bold letters. I turned in and saw a lady sitting behind a desk with a head set on. She was typing something into a computer when I came up to her.

"Hello." I bit my lip and tried to smile. The lady looked at me with a forced smile.

"May I help you?"