𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐬

Start from the beginning

Vanessa faked a smile at the cheery desk clerk. She took one of the keys and headed for the elevators.

"Whoa, there, sweetheart, what's the rush?" Matthew joined her speed and immediately put ease to her pace.

Vanessa slowed down and sighed. "I'm just tired, that's all. Where's Giselle and Charlie?"

Matthew looked back at the line where the other two stood to check in to their hotel in Charleston, South Carolina.

"Seems like they're almost done. Do you want to wait for them?"

Vanessa rested her bag on top of her suitcase. "Yeah, I guess."

"Alright," he stood there and rubbed his eyes.

Luckily Giselle and Charlie didn't take too long. "Hey, you guys okay if we just call it a night. I just want to flop into that bed and sleep."

Matthew yawned. "Sure thing, see you tomorrow at what time?"

Giselle checked her phone. "Breakfast opens at 7, so how about sometime after?"

"Sure thing, see ya then."

"Alright, goodnight."

Charlie and Giselle were both on the same floor which was opposite what Matthew and Vanessa had.

They made their way through the spacious lobby that glowed with warm lights and creamy-coloured furniture. The floors were dark, and accents of gold made the place look exquisite.

"The elevators are down that hall, we'll have to go through that room though."

Matthew directed them through the lobby and made their way to the connection. Apparently, there was an event taking place at the hotel this week. Vanessa looked at the board in front of the room.

"Royale Gala Event, taken place between 7 and 9 pm this week," she read aloud.

"Seems fancy," Matthew looked between the doors and saw the people dressed in fine tuxedos and sparkly dresses. The room was lined with candles and royale music played through the overhead speakers.

"Let's just make a quick run for it, I can practically see the elevators on the other side."

Matthew chuckled. "Alright, let's go."

As quickly as possible, they maneuvered through the tables lined with linen and tried not to crash their luggage into the chairs.

"That was close," Matthew said, he turned towards the elevators and pressed the button.

Vanessa sighed, a hint of laughter from her tired energy bubbled up. "Did you see that one woman's dress, I thought I was for sure going to get stuck once she started bouncing over."

The elevator doors opened, and more fancy-dressed people came spilling out. The elevator was clear once Vanessa and Matthew went in.

Resting her luggage, Vanessa pressed the number 4 and leaned back against the wall.

Smooth saxophone music played over the speakers.

"Do you ever notice that all of the elevators we've been in so far have been playing Careless Whisper?"

She looked at Matthew, then listened intently to the music.

"Good ol' George Micheal," Vanessa closed her eyes and smiled.

"Tonight the music seems so loud, I wish that we could lose this crowd. Maybe it's better this way, we'd hurt each other with the thing we want to say."

Vanessa poked one eye open, surprised to hear Matthew sing along. "You know this song?"

"You don't?"

"Not all of the words."

He chuckled. There was a ding and the elevator doors opened. They made their way out and down the hall.

Their room was much classier this time, and larger.

"I call dibs on the bed!" Vanessa shouted and made a run for it. She turned over and flopped on her back.

"Oh yeah, this is the life," putting her hands behind her back, she just lay there and settled into the mattress.

Matthew stepped into the room and folded his arms. "Alright, alright, don't need to rub it in."

Vanessa grinned. "Enjoy your sofa."

"Oh, I will," he grunted.

Doesn't matter what his problem is, tonight I'm getting a good night's sleep.

And that's exactly what Vanessa was determined to do.

A/N

Hey Siri, play Careless Whisper by George Micheal.

[it's the ten-hour version (only saxophone lol)... enjoy amigos]