"I'm only stating facts, and they're not hidden from anyone," Hurairah replies casually. "True, Mughis and I have come a long way together, but that doesn't mean I approve of their ways. In fact, a million times I've told him to leave the bad company, but when the whole pond is dirty, which fish would you save?" He leans back in his chair, cradling the baby carefully in his arms. "The things we call sins are habits for them. Their whole social circle is wrecked. Who would leave their pregnant wife behind, get drunk and end up in brothels? Banafsha would've her attitude fixed if you hadn't become a knight in shining armor for her and instead she had married someone half as corrupted as her own father."

"I've heard enough, Hurairah," Mikael interrupts harshly, glaring at his friend. "Nothing gives you the right to speak so disrespectfully about my wife. However she is, this is now my affair to deal with, not yours to criticize."

"Woah." Hurairah pops out his eyes in shock. "What is this reaction? Did I hurt your ghairah (pudency)?"

Mikael sharply returns his gaze. "Let's just not forget I've married her and she's my honor now. You disrespect her, you dishonor me."

"I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry."

Mikael looks away from him. "Forget about it."

Hurairah coughs suggestively. "Can I ask you something?"

"Even if I say no, you're still gonna slip the question in the conversation, so ask away."

"Are you falling for Banafsha, my friend?"

Mikael turns to him again, all sober. "I'll answer you, but let me ask you a question first."

"Shoot."

"Keeping aside the fact that your wife is my sister, if anyone else or I were to talk about Mina the way you talked about my wife--"

"I'll snap you in two," Hurairah cuts in before he could complete. "Or anyone else if they dare."

Mikael smirks. "Thank you. Because if your answer was otherwise, I'd have snapped you in two. Or should I do so anyway since you've already given me a reason?"

Hurairah laughs, taking his message and raising a palm in surrender. "Fine, I get you. Now tell me what I've asked of you. Is Banafsha becoming a blooming flower in this deserted heart of yours?"

Mikael hugs Qutub to his chest and looks away, a secret smile dancing upon his lips he tries to hide. Hurairah whistles and laughs again.

"Bilal ibn Rabah was a black slave."

Mikael stands behind the podium in the auditorium. Many people have gathered to listen to his lecture today. His gaze swims over the crowd before coming to fall on his notes and then back up.

"His story teaches us the strength of faith and the rewards it brings, and how racism is nothing but a war against brotherhood and humanity-- how it is just ignorance petty in the sight of God." He directs questions to his audience challengingly. "Do you think God would choose favorites among his own creations based on color, cast, creed or whatsoever?" He smiles, ironic. "If He has to pick favorites, why not someone who's dedicated to Him? Who seeks His love, why wouldn't He love them more compared to those who don't? Either free or slave, black or white, rich or poor, why would He care about these factors when He Himself is the distributor of them?" He pauses and attentive silence greets him. "What good is status to the Lord of the world who not only owns everything in the universe but us too?"

He holds his breath for a second as he sees Banafsha entering the hall. Their eyes connect and a fleeting smile graces her lips when she notices him watching her. Unlike before, she has wrapped a scarf around her hair this time and is wearing sneakers. So now when she moves towards a seat in the back row, no one notices her sliding in quietly.