Stuck

Pelting out 'Gives You Hell' at the top of my lungs, while baking myself Flatter's Cake with an extra layer of chocolate, was my way of dealing with the following week. I forced myself to eat an occasional salad, hopeful that it would counteract the inevitable breakouts coming my way from overindulging in chocolate. I'd been trying to cancel any and all sound that may have emanated from Vince's apartment. At least the online orders kept me busy, but the poor delivery dude who I'd entrusted with my baking had to deal with me at my worst. No makeup, total mess, never without a tub of Ben and Jerry's in my hand, he'd often try not to look me in my crazy eyes. I was quickly becoming the lockdown apartment owner no one liked. Blaring music, watching rom-coms, yelling at the TV heroines "Well what do you expect?" whenever the male lead did something wrong.

It was dreadful, everything reminded me of him, the putty in my now non-leaking window and the smell of pizza wafting through my door from his place. I couldn't believe I'd been so affected. I'd gone and caught feelings, a disease I didn't want, one that made twenty-year-old's bitter and women in their old age wise, and sometimes still bitter.

As I was munching on the flatter's cake, my fingers hardening with a layer of chocolate once it had melted around them and set, I entered willingly into a chocolate coma which had been around five days in the making. I was licking my lips, drooling a tad with my face on the counter and my hand on my laptop keyboard when an alert popped up on my computer.

'One Year Anniversary,' followed by a small message saying the customer wanted 'A love heart shaped red velvet cake.'

I closed my inbox, shoving in as much flatter's cake as humanly possible and threw myself onto the couch. Face down, only to realise I was laying on top of the fur rug, which immediately brought back memories of Vince wrapped up in it.

In a moment of sheer hate, I threw it off me, burying my head into the cushion while screaming silently, leaving a lipped shaped chocolate silhouette on the perfectly cream cushion. Once I'd sworn at the stain, I then did what I do best. I baked, putting all my anger and emotions into making a lovely red velvet cake for the happy couple. I'd had quite the supply of ingredients, buying bulk orders when I'd turned online with my business, so it was hard for me not to bake constantly.

Peeking into the oven, I watched as the red cake rose, nearly finished when suddenly a knock came to my door. I grabbed my chest, scared from the sudden noise, straightening myself out, best I could in an oversized hoodie, braided hair and ugg boats. I headed for the door, thinking it was the delivery guy, bringing my Chinese food, since last week's dinner with Vince and Camilla had reminded me of how good take out was, I was rather pleased to answer it.

"How much?" I opened the door with a sweet tone.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I knew that voice from anywhere, it was Vince. Not even acknowledging him I started to close the door when he stopped me, "Hannah, please."

Sighing I walked back into the kitchen, leaving the door open, "Close it when you come in."

Vince followed me as I headed to the oven, both of us not talking.

He was first to break the silence, "Smells good."

I couldn't help but laugh, "Smells good? That's the best you got?"

Vince chuckled, "Honestly..."

The oven beeped and I told him to, "Hold that thought," grabbing my mitt.

I must have been nervous because I slipped slightly when placing the cake on the table and burnt my forearm.

Vince rushed over and directed me to the sink. Luckily. the cake hadn't fallen, something I could at least be pleased about when the shock of pain continued to tingle my skin. Relieved by the running water I looked up, following Vince's arm which held mine as if I were a fragile porcelain doll. His brows were creased, and he seemed concerned, running his fingers down my arm, trying to help.