Deceitful Dinner

A knock came to the door. Vince groaned since we were in bed having more than fun. I was getting used to his creamy silk sheets and grey room with its soft overhanging lights.

"Who is it?" I looked up at him as he threw on a pair of track pants.

He left the bedroom, only to come back to ask me, "What day is it?"

"Friday." I noticed he was acting rather strange. "Why?"

"Presto," he spoke in Italian out of fear, saying quickly, picking up my woolen white sweater from the floor and my pair of shorts tossing them to me, still upright siting on the bed. "Put these on."

Before I could find out who it was, I threw my clothes on and listened.

"Do you ever wear a shirt?" A purring female voice sounded.

My stomach sank, it must have been one of his 'friends' not unlike me, or worse an actual girlfriend he didn't want me to meet half dressed.

"You too wouldn't dress if you had abs like mine," Vince answered as the door closed.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"My brother, the world's greatest egomaniac." The female voice sounded again.

"Brother?" I whispered relieved when I accidently knocked the bedside table light. It made an enormous clatter, and I closed my eyes, feeling stupid.

"You have company?" I heard his sister ask, with an unsurprised tone.

"Hannah," Vince called me out.

Walking around the corner of the apartment to the kitchen I came across Vince, with his hand rubbing the back of his neck looking down. He wasn't entirely rejoicing in the fact that I was there.

I was about to make a run for it, the door only a few steps in front when his sister came forward.

"Hannah," she beamed.

Alike Vince, her hair was coal in colour, waved and long. She had full eyebrows, red lips and was wearing a wonderfully tailored trench coat. She was my height, a little older, but tonnes more sophisticated in that annoying European way. If you liked that sort of 'I've got my life together' appearance.

"This is my big sister, Camilla," Vince sent me a short smile.

"And don't you forget it," Camilla jumped up and scuffed his hair.

I started to edge towards the door, "I better be going."

"Stay," Camilla stopped me from running out the door. "I brought Chinese food, and there is far too much honey chicken for the two of us." She gestured to the folded paper bag.

"I wouldn't want to barge in on a family dinner," I hugged myself, rubbing one of my feet across the other, pulling down the crooked bed socks trying not to slip on the black tiled floor.

Camilla laughed, "It's our tradition to bring round take-out every second Friday," she raised her eyebrows to Vince as if saying 'well done brother'. "So busy during lockdown, he must have forgotten what day it was, luckily I live on the floor above. You know mamma has been trying to contact you, since she can't visit."

Vince nodded with a slight side smile, not saying anything. I gulped, since she lived above, hoping she hadn't heard anything over the past few nights.

Over dinner, there were uproars of laughter, as I recalled one of the funniest baking fails at my business.

Camilla found me amusing, wanting to know more, "Any baker boyfriends?"

Vince sent her a rather daring glare.

"Please brother," she shook her head at him. "Gorgeous and an amazing cook, what can't you do Hannah?"

"No," my answer to her previous question was quick, as I took a sip of wine, watching Vince place his fork and knife down.

Before I could explain my sudden burst Vince continued it for me, "She's not really the girlfriend type."

It was a throw away comment but cut me deep.

"Vince!" Camilla turned to her brother, shocked he would say such a thing, especially after acknowledging the hurt look in my eyes.

I threw my napkin down, nodding to Camilla, "It was lovely to meet you."

I saw she opened her mouth to try and say something kind, but I'd left the table by that point, so she didn't bother.

"Hannah don't just leave," Vince followed me out his door.

"If you wanted me to go, all you had to do was say," I opened my door having crossed the hall, my words biting the air between us.

"Hannah," Vince tried to stop me. "Hannah please," he grabbed my arm but then released it when he came across my face.

I gave him about a second to explain.

"It's just," he kept his voice down, not wanting Camilla to hear. "I don't want her to think..."

"Vince, I understand."

"You do?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Perfectly," I slammed the door in his face having had enough with that conversation. Throwing my head back on the door I listened as he walked away, closing his apartment door. Then I broke down.