4.9 Getting Closer

Start from the beginning

Aera said, " Well, how about we introduced to each other first? To better know each other. "

They silently agreed, since they were living together for a while now but aside from their names, they didn't know anything much about them. They have to know each other first is the basics. They all sat on the ground and turn to Andre who was still practicing and stopped when he noticed them staring as he silently cooperated and sat near them.

Seeing that they have no objections, Aera grinned mischievously, " For a twist, tell the reason, where you came from and why you want to join the hero party. I'll start first then, "

" I'm Aera, I'm from a small noble family here in the royal capital, we don't have any problems currently and we were previously mercenaries but since the demons started invading, we decided to settle down here and somehow got a noble title. Amazing right? "

" Well, that's what my dad told me. " She said dismissively and continued, " I want to join because, mom was killed by a demon. He was a red skinned demon who was called Xis. I want to take his life and end the sufferings they bring to the kingdom. " She said seriously, her eyes showing determination.

Andre glanced at her after hearing this and his fist clenched, the red skinned demon named Xis...

His eyes flashed behind his hair as he continued to listen to them.

Kato noticed the mood turn down and started, " Then, I'm next? " He said smiling shyly.

Aera and the others blinked, they also noticed the mood has turned bad so they nodded hurriedly to flip the mood around.

" I'm Kato, I'm actually from the slums and was picked up by my father and became the illegitimate son of the deceased great general Katu Alk. He died during the fight with the demons, as his son, I want to avenge him and help the citizens of the kingdom by joining the hero party. "

" ?? That's all? Add something more! " Said Aera who was listening at his side, Kato scratched his head, " uhm, before he died uhh, he trained me personally in the way of spear. He said that of all his sons, I'm the only one who inherited his talent in spears so he trained me since I was small. "

" Hmm, right, Arian and I met in the slums too but we got separated after she was taken by the church..and uhh..."

Arian nodded and smiled at Kato.

" Uhh, my older brothers has no interest in fighting at all so that's what happened. Though he trained me, he was kind and cared for me..."

" Eh? That's so lucky! To be trained by the great general personally! You must be very amazing! "

" Ah? No, I'm average... " Kato said  and laughed embarrassingly at Aera's exclaimed.

" Alright! Next is, Arian, our pretty healer! "

Arian blushed and covered her face, " I'm Arian, as Kato said, I'm from the slums but because of my aptitude in using healing magic, I was taken to the church and was taught many things by the pope. They were really kind to me... I want to be of help to them so I decided to join the competition and won... "

Aera looked at her lovingly and nodded like proud mom, " Okay, that's good. "

Then she turned her face to look at Frances and her expression changed facing Frances who was trying to hide behind his pillow.

" Oi, it's your turn, if you don't talk, I'll beat you up. "

" W-Why!? QAQ " Frances cried at Aera who raised her fist at him, scared.

" Uuhh, my f-family was a fallen noble, they actually uhm... s-sold us siblings as slaves before..." He started tearfully as he glanced at Aera from time to time

" What!? "

" That's horrible! What happened? "

Andre also look at him inquiringly, from what he heard, the people living in the royal capital seldom experience these and only those outside the capital did, though the small town of Naf is too far and secluded that they probably didn't know about the demons invading the lands. He lowered his head as he caress the sword by his side.

" T-That, uhh, I'm saved by teacher Puno and he r-raised me... " Frances said as he fumbled and then his eyes turn lifeless, " I-In exchange, I have to learn e-everything he teach to me... That was so hard... Uuhh... " He then started crying pitifully QAQ

"......."

They didn't know if they would pity if or beat him up at this point.

Aera exhales to stop herself from berating him, " What happened to your family then? "

" Ah? Oh... My father got executed for his crimes and older brother tried to escape but died. " He said seriously and didn't stutter, he lowered his head as he fumbled his fingers.

"...I see. " That's the only word Aera can utter right now after hearing what he said.

Then a silence covered their group, after a while Kato can't take the silence anymore and turned to Andre, " Well, what about you Andre? " He asked curiously, this gain all the attention from the silence and also turn to Andre who was silently listening all this time.

After a minute of silence, they were sad thinking that he won't tell them and go to their bed when the heard him, ".... I.. "

Their eyes lit up and came back to their positions, eager to hear the story of the hero.

The truth is, they knew a glimpse of what happened to him by they wanted to hear it from the person himself.

Andre lowered his eyes as he thought of the words to say, " I was born a slave. "

They gasped, born a slave!?

Then they turned silent, that means he was born outside the capital and during the war between the two sides...

That's so horrible, to live as a slave for ten whole years.

So that's the reason why until now, the hero wasn't found...

" In my tenth year, I was able to escape and met... " He stopped and looked outside the window, it was night and there were no starts in the skies. All this time, he didn't tell anyone about his life, not even Lucius. He didn't want Lucius to know what kind of life he lived before he met him, he didn't want him to be sad and worry for him. He's happy as long as they stay together but it wasn't possible now..

He wanted someone to listen and remember that person, not as someone who sacrificed his life for him but as someone who gave him life and saved him.

" I met a very, very special person. " He said softly as if reminiscing that person, his eyes showed gentleness contrary to his usual cold and indifferent.

Aera and others glanced at each other, shock and awe in their eyes. That person must be very important to him..

" He was very dumb and dazed but he was really kind. In that small town of Naf, we live peacefully and happily even though we're so poor. " He chuckled, his eyes showed happiness from remembering those times and turned to look at his party members emptily, " But they were gone now. " He said as his eyes return to their usual look and his voice colder than before.

" I wanted to kill the demon and accompany them in the afterlife. "

Andre's voice was faint and soft but it was like hearing a thunder in their ears.

This boy... He just didn't lose a person, he lose his everything.

That's what they can tell as they look at Andre.

The night passed peacefully, but not for them who turned in their sleep as they remember Andre's eyes that was filled with despair and sadness.

His life was so miserable, from the beginning until now. He has nothing when was born, gained a treasure he cherished and loved and lose them all in just a day...

They were all sleepless that night.

In the demon castle.

After a week since Xis, the demon, who killed Lucius, was currently scolded by his superior, the demon king with a single cold sentence.

" You failed to kill the hero. "