Chapter 49: Cassette Tapes at 2 am

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."

- Victor Hugo

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth Grace's POV

A few months later...

I am awakened by a knocking on my bedroom door. My eyes are just barely open as I make my way slowly towards the noise's source. Opening the door, I see Jean Grey in an excited frenzy. I know she's saying words... but she's saying them extremely fast... and the sun isn't even up yet.

"Jean... what are you saying..." I ask in almost a slurred voice.

"IsawthisyesterdayandmeanttogiveittoyoubutforgotandI-" she exclaims, speaking what seems like a million miles per hour to the point where I am unable to understand her.

"Jean, slow down," I say at exactly the opposite pace. "I have no clue what you're saying."

"This came in the mail!"

She hands me a small package. It's poorly wrapped in a pale pink paper with crumpled corners. A blue ribbon is tied around it in a bow like that of a tied shoestring. I look at Jean, then at the package, and then back at Jean.

As lovely as this is... it's 2:00 in the morning...

"This is why you woke me up at this odd hour of the morning?"

"Look who it's from!"

"Jean, I love you dearly. You know I do... but I haven't slept all that well the last few nights and really, really need sleep. Please, just let me look at it in the morning."

"But-"

"I'll look at it as soon as I wake up."

"But-"

"You can even stay in my room and make sure I look at it. You can look at it with me personally. Can we make that deal?"

"O-Ok."

"Alright, come on."

She follows me into my room. I lie down and am asleep again almost instantly. Of course, my sleep doesn't last long. Jean is a bit too excited to sleep. She tosses and turns, likely thinking of the contents of the package that evidently was sent to me. Naturally, this causes the entire bed to shake with her.

"What is it?" I ask, finally giving up and turning to face her.

"Did you see who it came from?" she inquires.

"No. I didn't see that detail."

Jean bites her lip in an attempt to hold back a grin

Jean bites her lip in an attempt to hold back a grin. It's clear that this is not going to wait until what would typically be considered a decent hour. Finally, with a sigh, I sit up and reach for the package on my bedside table. I pull the small package into my lap. Looking down at it, I now see the name of its sender...

To: Elizabeth Xavier

From: Peter Maximoff

I know a warm smile makes its way across my face. This smile is shared by Jean. Of course, hers may be a bit more jittery—her body overflowing with excited energy. I start to open it until she stops me.

"What about the card?" she questions.

"I don't recall you handing me a card," I reply.

"It's on your nightstand."

"Oh."

I take the envelope in my hand. The same lopsided handwriting spells out my name. I open the envelope to see a rather crudely-cut piece of paper. Unfolding it, there's a letter from Peter.

Elizabeth,

You said these were some of your favorites. I thought if anyone could use something this awesome... it was you. So, I made you this. Happy birthday, Elizabeth!

Sincerely,

Peter Maximoff

Telepathy isn't necessary for me to know that Jean is peeking over my shoulder at the card. A squeal-like noise can be heard behind me. Finally, I begin to gently tear the paper. Underneath I find a cassette tape with the words "Elizabeth's Mixtape" written across it.

"You should listen to it," Jean insists.

She jumps up from the bed and grabs my Walkman and headphones. I've often debated if I should be concerned that she knows where essentially all of my things are. I insert the cassette tape. Jean and I lean in close to my headphones as I turn on the music. By the time we've listened through all the songs, Jean has fallen back asleep... finally.

I slide the headphones over my ears as I lay gently back down on my pillow. This same smile paints my face as I finish rewinding the tape. My finger presses play as I hear the start of a familiar Beatles tune, performed in an even more familiar voice... which hearing causes my heart to beat faster... faster than he could ever run.

 faster than he could ever run

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Song: Hey Jude by The Beatles