Chapter 40: A Brother's Return

"Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero."

- Marc Brown

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth's POV

I stand anxiously at the airport. I don't remember the last time I was this excited. Every nerve in my body seems to be sparking left and right with anticipation. It's been eight years, and yet, it almost feels like an eternity.

Raven didn't quite tell me why or how, but she told me he'd be here. I hear an anti-war crowd yelling as one of the planes releases its passengers. Soldiers appear as they continue to yell and shout at them. It breaks my heart to see the looks on their faces as they are stepping off the plane.

That's when I see him. He still looks the same as he did eight years ago. I'm sure he could still cause the same amount of complete havoc as he used to.

"Alex!" I exclaim rushing over to him.

Alex looks at me for a moment in confusion. It's obvious he doesn't know who I am. The last time he saw my face in person, I was nine years old. He's only seen a few pictures of anything from home since then. Suddenly, I quickly flash the true white color of my iris for a moment. His own eyes widen as his expression turns to one of shock.

"Liza?"

"Yes."

"You're... you're... You're a teenager!"

"Yes. I am."

"You're like 17 now. I... I... I need a minute. You're supposed to still be really small."

"Not anymore."

He engulfs me in a hug

He engulfs me in a hug. It's a really comforting feeling. Alex has been like a big brother to me since the time of the First Class. There is no feeling like the safety of being encased in the arms of a protective older brother. After what happened to Sean, I was scared he wasn't going to come back.

"You're shaking, Liza."

"I'm just... You came home... I was..."

"I know about Sean. I know. I'm back. Trust me, I won't be leaving again."

"I'm glad."

"On the plane, someone mentioned something about a mutant issue in Washington D.C."

"Yeah..."

"Did you have something to do with that?"

"Erik had something to do with it, and I had something to do with trying to stop it."

"That... ok."

"Watch any news station, and you'll understand very quickly."

"Gotcha. However, I'm assuming I'm also going to hear it from your perspective."

"Oh, of course."

We walk out of the airport as I begin to explain the story of what took place. Alex looks even more confused the longer I continue. Of course, the story seems absolutely insane even considering how our lives are.

"Ok..." he starts. "Let me get this straight. A mutant from the future warned you that we were all gonna be wiped out unless we stopped Raven from killing the same scientist that was killing us already."

"Essentially."

"So you guys broke Erik out of the Pentagon with the help of some silver-haired dude—which I can tell you're leaving out certain details about him that I'll be forced to ask you about later—and Erik tried to kill Raven in Paris?"

"Yes."

"Then Raven tried to kill Trask in D.C., but you guys stopped her."

"Also yes."

"And Erik put a... baseball stadium around the White House with the sentinels trying to shoot everyone?"

"Well... yeah."

"But Raven stopped him... on tv?"

"Yes."

"Is that ALL I missed while I was gone?"

"Um, not quite, but the rest of that you should probably be glad you missed. It's... It's been a long eight years."

"That bad, huh?"

My eyes become downcast as I think about it. So much has happened... things that will be difficult for my heart to release. There's a lot of pain for it to hold onto now.

"It's better now... and that's what counts."

	Once again, I feel the comfort of his arms around me, giving my body a gentle squeeze

Once again, I feel the comfort of his arms around me, giving my body a gentle squeeze. Even if he doesn't know all that happened, I would guess there are some bits and pieces he can gather. Alex Summers was one of the few people who became concerned about the internal scars I now carry around.

"I love you, kiddo," he says. "You know that."

"Love you too... big brother."

Though I know he won't be coming back to the school, I'm just glad to have him back in American soil again. To say I've missed him would be an understatement. Maybe everything will go back to... as normal as it'll ever be in my life. 

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Song: Hey Brother by Avicii