Chapter 17: Betrayal

"The future depends on what you do today."

- Mahatma Gandhi

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Elizabeth Grace's POV

"No! Don't do this, Erik!"

"If you're in there," Erik says to Shaw. "I'd like you to know that I agree with every word you've said. We are the future. But unfortunately, you killed my mother. This is what we're going to do..."

Erik holds up a coin. It's the same coin I saw in his memories years ago. Shaw threatened his mother to entice him to move the coin. When he couldn't, Shaw murdered her in cold blood. I remember this being one of the first flashes I ever saw in his mind... and I remember the chill it sent down my spine.

"No..." I say, trying the hardest I can to penetrate the helmet while still holding Shaw in place. "Please, Erik. Please."

"I'm going to count to three, and I'm going to move the coin. One... Two... Three."

On three, the coin is pushed into Shaw's forehead—splitting his skin, breaking his skull, puncturing his brain. Being forced to feel what Shaw does, dad and I both scream in excruciating agony. It is as if we are the ones dying ourselves. I've never felt pain of that magnitude in all of my life.

I fall to the ground, what feels like for the twelfth time today, as the coin does

I fall to the ground, what feels like for the twelfth time today, as the coin does. I feel Shaw's soul leave his body. He is gone—dead. For the second time in a month, I've felt someone's fear, sadness, anger, pain, and heartbreak... as they have passed from this world.

One would think we'd be happy about this. The supposed villain of our story is dead. However, I'm terrified of what it will possibly make of my friend.

"Are you alright?" dad asks.

"No, You?"

"No."

💥𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒲𝒾𝓈𝒹𝑜𝓂💥 [𝒳-𝑀𝑒𝓃]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara