Chapter 23: Research

Start from the beginning

John sets the book down and approaches slowly before bending down to look me in the eye. Genuine concern is written all over his face, and his voice is gentle as he speaks. "Did he force you to take it?"

His question makes me pause, unsure if what Heloix did would be considered force. I had told him very clearly that I didn't want to put his bloody thumb in my mouth, but once it was inside I was eager for more, going as far as to bite his skin to get it.

Eventually I shake my head no, cheeks flaming. "It was voluntary-ish."

"Why would you do that, Adeline?" John asks, voice thick with disappointment.

I shrug, not wanting to get into the details of it.

"I don't know, but I need your help figuring out what it means."

I reach down and grab my book that he set down on the mattress and flip back to my bookmarked page. John stares at me wearily, probably deciding whether or not he wants to help me, before sighing and sitting back down. I hold back a smile as he makes himself comfortable, happy that he isn't rushing out of here in a fit.

"As I said, sharing blood is considered a very intimate action, and there are only a couple of reasons why it's done." I explain, sitting myself down next to John so we can both read over the words.

Pointing to the first section, I begin paraphrasing. "Okay, so their blood has some healing properties in it and sometimes is used to heal one another in battle. The act of sharing it is pretty sacred, though, so it's only done in dire situations."

"So we can rule that one out?" John speaks up. "Since, you know, you aren't in battle."

"Yeah," I agree, turning to face him. "But I was hurt when it happened and the King told me afterward that he gave me his blood so my cut would heal."

John's lips pull down into a frown as I share this with him, his gaze leaving my face as he quickly inspects me for any visible injuries. His body tenses as he searches, relaxing only slightly when he finds none.

"Why were you bleeding?"

I hold back a grimace as my face flushes, remembering the feeling of Heloix's extended canine slicing my tongue as he pushed me back onto the bed.

"Maybe I don't want to know." John speaks up once more, disgust evident in his expression as he watches my response.

"Anyways, it's a possibility but I don't think that that's it. There are a couple of other options I want to run by you." I state, drawing my focus back to the book.

Flipping to the next page, I skim over several sections that I've already deemed as unlikely before spotting the next possibility.

"Ah, yes." I murmur as I find it, jabbing my finger roughly into the page. "It's also done to perform a mate bond. Apparently a lot of blood is needed for that, but I'm doubtful that his Beast has chosen me as a mate."

Mate bonds are sacred to the Beasts, and I imagine that if Heloix did choose me that I would have been told by now. To continue to treat me as a slave and allow me to work for him would be unheard of, and I'm sure would go against everything the Beasts believe in.

He has confessed that his Beast has unusual feelings for me, but I'm not sure how much I believe it. He probably just wants to sleep with me, and I'm sure that he told Gwen the same things to get her into his bed.

John nods his head in agreement, watching as I slide my finger down to the last option and poke at the page angrily.

"I think this one's it. Beast blood is like a drug to humans and, if we are given enough, we become a slave to it, willing to do whatever it takes to have more." I announce, voice rising in volume as I speak the words out loud.