Chapter 33

The diner became a distant memory as we got back on the road heading to our destination. One that I was far in need to get to but my family cross my mind wanted to see them the most but I know better to wait, for their safety and mine.

The silence in the car was almost suffocating, but it didn't lessen the pain in my chest. I had that pain; it felt like an anticipation of something you gonna hear but don't want to.

An inaudible sigh passes my lips, looking down at my hand, the tainted skin left a sad feeling in my stomach. How can I show my family the harm done to me? I trace one cut through the disgust rising to my throat.

If I cry now, it wouldn't reverse the damage done to me.

"Eli" I almost didn't hear the whisper of my name, I couldn't answer my voice stuck in my throat. It didn't sound like Alex or Ashton's voice. My eyes travel to the window of the car.

With my eyes widen palm sweaty I saw myself in the window a sad smiling face looking right at me. I didn't dare move, I felt the cold shivers play on my neck unable to move.

"Hi there sweety" her mouth moves to form a small smile, now I know I was losing my mind. My hand falls to my head holding the pain back.

"Avery all will be revealed, so I can finally have peace so you can have peace" she whispered putting her hand towards me a single tear running down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry Avery it took years for it to be said I'm sorry" and just as that was said she disappear my image going back in place. I couldn't think my hands squeezing the pain from my head.

"Avery... Eli" I felt someone shook me taking me from my complicated mind what shocked me most was the name I heard before.

"Eli..." The car came to a halt Alex pulling the car door open holding me gently in her arms, a panic attack. I felt her brush away my stray tears away, I didn't know I was crying.

"Sh sh it's gonna be okay" she whispered in my ear squeezing me in her comfort ever so slightly brushing my tears away, I couldn't speak all my emotions were in a mess.

"I'm going crazy"

"No baby your not, your not" her equally soft voice unable to keep me calm.

"I saw her"

"Who?" She whispered

"I don't know" I sighed out I must have sounded equally crazy with my words.

"There's no one here but us, don't worry Eli we'll protect you," she said stating her promise in a soft voice, the name I used to hear all these years didn't felt right to me anymore.

Ashton was silently observing unsure what to do, he met Alex's eyes knowing they need to get to headquarters fast. He sat in the diver seat starting the car bringing it back to life.

Eli felt like her mind was messing up even more than ever before. She couldn't think clearly anymore.

>Ω<

Eli fell asleep leaving Alex and Ashton to their thought, they know the truth about Eli but the awful truth wasn't there for them to tell.

A messier secret that could leave poor Eli in a mental institution. Alex sighed softly holding a sleeping Eli more tightly in her arms as the view in front of them change to darkness.

A clear sign that they were nearing the entrance of the headquarters. They always hated this the surrounding of an abandoned building left to rot when inside it was a base of special agents, a cover-up.

The car driver through the tattered gate falling off its hinges. The security camera blinked scanning all the faces uploading to the database.

"Carry her Ashton the poor thing been through a lot," Alex said sadly wanting to take the pain away from her, she watched as her face twisted in discomfort, a bad dream.

Scanning the area making sure all was clear.

" Agent Alex and detective McGill welcome," the intercom said followed by the click of the door, the sickly smell of gun powers greeted them.

"Home sweet home" Alex mumble under her breath. For her, it's been a while since she been back here, her only home the only one she ever remember.

Alex had a dark past that she rather forget, a misery trailing her every day of her life.

"Take her to my room, I'll send word to the boss stay with her Ashton, she needs comfort right now" with her concern out she nodded with her departure walking down the silent concrete corridors.

Ashton followed what she said pushing the door open, making sure not to make too much noise to wake the sleeping Eli, placing her on the bed the soft comforter engulfing her body in its hold.

Ashton felt a weight finally falling off his shoulders, that weight of saving her life even if it's just barely saving a little ounce of her sanity.

Oh, how he wishes to keep her from the beast that's his brother but after they rescue Eli he completely disappeared. Some of the men that were trailing him completely disappeared as well, Hopelessness.

The good news his sex trafficking, nightclubs completely lockdown all his associates arrested, he was completely left in the open.

But why did annoyance crawl at his stomach?

3 hours later!

Eli woke from her slumber the pain she once felt in her head a distant. She thirsts for something to quench the heat in her throat.

"Here's some water," a sleepy voice said putting the glass in her hand. Eli saw how Ashton seem to be in deep thought taking the glass from his drowning the liquid down her throat.

"Thank you," she said in a small voice earning a small smile from him before he sat back in the chair at the corner of the room near the door.

"Where is Alex?" She questioned curious as to where the petite girl went but Eli realized her surroundings one too different to put a finger on.

"She'll be back soon, just sending a few words to the chief," he said leaning against the wall in the most comfortable position he can find. Eli felt nervous was this the moment she'll finally see her parents.

"Hey I'm sorry" she suddenly said catching Ashton off guard.

"No princess don't say sorry," he said nervously running his hand through his hair, unsure of what else to say. She was like a fragile fine China, she could be broken without repair but what is he thinking all could that she was already broken.

"Eli doesn't think about it too much, you have no reason to be sorry if anything I'm the one who's sorry" he spoke out his voice raising to anger with each word.

Before he could finish he felt the light touch of her fingers holding tightly on his shaky fist. Trying to calm him, yet she couldn't help the smile on her lips although she was crying.

It was a different type of tears, tears of that caring warmth surrounding her insides.

The sudden opening of the door pulling them from their trance, Alex standing in the frame with a serious expression aiming it at them.

"They want to have a word with you, Eli," Alex said her tone sounding fatal as if wanting to say something other than those words.

Eli release her hold from Ashton, that nervousness that was once there, was resurfacing along with a tight knot in her stomach.

Anticipating what is to come.