Chapter 15

That monday went by slower than the entirety of the past week. Every free second Rantaro had was a failed attempt at trying to talk to Kokichi for one reason or another. It was nearing winter break, so the days had started to become more hectic. Combined with his concerned (and nosy) classmates constantly interrogating the supreme leader, there wasn't a rat's chance in hell Rantaro would get a chance to talk with Kokichi alone.

Not during the school day, at least. After school? Maybe he stood a chance. Of course, he'd still probably be around someone for a bit, (If Rantaro had to guess, it'd probably be Kiibo and Miu- those two had been with Kokichi the most. Seeing how much they cared for their friend made Rantaro smile.) but Rantaro was willing to hold through for a couple more minutes.

During those few minutes, he was approached by Ryoma, asking for his help in grabbing something out of his reach. Rantaro (obviously) complied, turning his attention away from Kokichi for a few seconds in order to help Ryoma.

The moment he looked away from Kokichi, however, was the moment his plans of catching him alone came crashing down. When he finished and turned his attention back towards where Kokichi was- the boy was no longer there. How convenient.

Rantarou looked around the room, a poker face hiding his anxiousness from the others still in the classroom. Kokichi had definitely left. But when? He hadn't even looked away for a minute.

A part of Rantaro wanted to give up already- perhaps he could talk to Kokichi tomorrow. But he only looked away for a minute- he couldn't have been that far, right? Rantaro was confident he could find Kokichi- he didn't get his title as Ultimate Adventurer for nothing.

Rantaro left the classroom with haste and determination, making his way through the hallway. The fastest route from here to the exit was past the nurse's office- if Kokichi took any other way he'd still be in the school and Rantaro could simply wait at the front for him.

He wasn't sure why he was thinking so hard about it. He wasn't sure why he was walking so fast to the point where he was almost jogging. Before he had time to ponder more about the subject, his feet had guided him to the nurse's office. He opened the door in a swift motion, sticking his head in. "Hey, has Ouma-kun stopped here?" He asked.

Mikan, who had squealed from the sudden entrance and accidentally dropped some bandages (to which Rantaro quickly apologized for), shook her head. "N-no, he dropped his n-note off in the morning!" She sniffled, kneeling to the ground. "I saw him pass by j-just now, though. I-I'm sorry!" She wailed as she picked up the bandages and stood back up."

"Thank you, Tsumiki-senpai!" He lets go of the door and allows it to close behind him, bursting out of the school. The chill that greeted him was refreshing, but his mind was on other things at the moment.

There were a few students scattered around the school grounds. Near the gates, Rantaro caught a glimpse of purple hair and a checkered scarf. He exhaled in relief, before inhaling sharply.

"Ouma-kun!" He yells. A few other students look in his direction- but only one actually stops in their tracks.

The boy turns his head at a tantalizing pace, the corners of his lips etching upwards into a smile. "Oh, hey, Amami-chan~!" Kokichi greets in a sing song voice. "Took you long enough,"

It's been a while since Kokichi's called him by his last name. Rantaro hesitates for a moment, taken aback slightly. "My bad," He scratches the back of his neck in a sheepish manner, approaching Kokichi with an unwavering stride. "I was waiting for a chance to speak with you alone." Despite his physical appearance coming off as collected, Rantaro felt as if he was going to explode at any moment. All this trouble and he didn't even know what he wanted to say to Kokichi. (Well, he did know what he wanted to say- he just didn't know how to say it and what order to say it in.)